Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

oh.. i would also restrict her running for a day or two as well.. let her get used to the hobbles and it will help take some stress off of the splayed leg.. after about two days see how she is doing and let her increase her activity by letting her run around a little.. and see how she does with it.. after about 2 days you MIGHT be able to remove the tape too.. it just depends on how well she is standing up and moving around

Opened Egg A a few minutes ago and it was scrambled, glad that's all I found in there really. It didn't stink or weep, though I suspect it would take an awful lot of salt to cover up the taste if you wanted to eat it.

Egg B is still moving and keeps getting stronger so not all is lost, 12 days left till Day 49. Gerry will be a year old on the 8th too.

ooooh .. runny emu eggs.. lol.. gonna need a lot of seasoning for that!

Glad to hear you still have a wiggler. Is it your last egg or do you have more cooking?

Only one I got left, last chance for me this year.

Lol.. I have several wiggling.. want me to send you some boys? (lets face it.. with my luck they will ALL be boys)
gig.gif

I taped her legs and also put her in a small box as Calla told me. Is the box too big? Her joint in her leg is swollen, should I give her some infant's Ibuprofen? Will that take the swelling down?

yinepu wouldn't it be funny if my eggs from Kansas hatched and were all girls LOL
lau.gif

Last edited:
I taped her legs and also put her in a small box as Calla told me. Is the box too big? Her joint in her leg is swollen, should I give her some infant's Ibuprofen? Will that take the swelling down?

yinepu wouldn't it be funny if my eggs from Kansas hatched and were all girls LOL
lau.gif

I'm not sure how an emu would handle ibuprofen.. and I'm looking for dosage info for ratites... my biggest concern would be liver damage

However for broiler chickens I did find a study where they gave the highest dose listed as being 100 mg per Kg body weight. Now this was for coccidiosis control.. but should also work for pain management. i have only found the one study though.. so I'm not sure they were overly concerned about long term effects since they are broilers cited in the study

If I can find dosage for emus and safety info I'll let you know

There is also this thread.. again it's mainly concerning chickens
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-inflammatories-or-aspirin-in-poultry-or-fowl

Back
Top Bottom