Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

‘I wish we could put a stick on this forum for the normal development stages for an emu.

That’s a very very very good idea, Foulman!

Yes, let us co-operate – some of us have known each other for years – and get ahead of the curve by collating, and posting in a ‘permanent place,’ some rock-solid-reliable information about recurrent problems.

[Actually, guys . . . you are experts. I must have spent a zillion hours researching emoo stuff on the Net, and – okay, apart from some specific avian veterinary knowledge -- nowhere does the average quality of knowledge rise to the standard of BYC. I even busted an Indian professor who cut-and-pasted passages from the Happy Emoo Website, and published it as his own in a veterinary journal! (Hi, ‘Professor’ Patodkar!)]

S.E.

It's official I will be "trying" to hatch some EMU eggs this season
Purchased 6 eggs and the seller agreed to send 8 - Good thing two were leaking and two are "iffy"

Weights on the 6 that I will set are;
1) 523g
2) 609
3) 617
4) 527
5) 538
6) 620

How do you clean eggs that got liquid all over them during shipping?

Eggs are resting for 48 hours before incubation

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! I only let mine sit a day then in they go. If you read through this thread Yinepu states what she uses to clean the eggs. I think it is in the first 10 pages?

Last edited:
Ok, she has been fighting the tied leg thing since Sunday. I removed the leg ties and decided to tape the tendon back behind the hock. She has not stood up all day today. Well this is her after the removal of the tied legs and me taping the tendon:

She also was walking around and then tried to run LOL She also has not kick once since the ties came off.
My Question: Should I leave the ties off the legs or put them back on? She is still standing in the tote bin and has not sat down yet, just standing there staring at me LOL

Raptor when is it due to hatch? Exciting isn't it!
yesss.gif
highfive.gif

Ok here are my egg weights for this week. The eggs are due to hatch next week so 7 days and counting! I do have questions because I am going through a lot with my little girl so some things are concerning me. Questions are after the weights.
Egg 1 -
Jan 23 - 566 - % goal loss 84.9
Jan 30 - 558 = 8 grams or 1.43%
Feb 06 - 548 = 10 grams or 1.79%
Feb 13 - 541 = 7 grams or 1.28%
Feb 20 - 533 = 8 grams or 1.48%
Feb 27 - 525 = 8 grams or 1.50%
Egg is wiggling, I thought was a dud LMAO!
Mar 06 - 515 = 10 grams or 1.90%
Mar 13 -
Mar 13-15 = Hatch

Egg 2 -
Jan 23 - 608 - % goal loos 91.2
Jan 30 - 597 = 11 grams or 1.81%
Feb 06 - 585 = 12 grams or 2.01%
Feb 13 - 575 = 10 grams or 1.71%
Feb 20 - 564 = 11 grams or 1.91%
Feb 27 - 551 = 13 grams or 2.30%
Egg so far not wiggling
Mar 06 - 540 = 11 grams or 2.00%
Mar 13 -
Mar 13-15 = Hatch

Egg 4 -
Jan 23 - 590 - % goal loss 88.5
Jan 30 - 579 = 11 grams or 1.86%
Feb 06 - 566 = 13 grams or 2.25%
Feb 13 - 555 = 11 grams or 1.94%
Feb 20 - 544 = 11 grams or 1.98%
Feb 27 - 530 = 14 grams or 2.67% Egg is wiggling!
Mar 06 - 518 = 12 grams or 2.26%
Mar 13 -
Mar 13-15 = Hatch

Egg 7 -
Jan 23 - 577 - % goal loss 86.55
Jan 30 - 563 = 14 grams or 2.43%
Feb 06 - 546 = 17 grams or 3.02%
Feb 13 - 533 = 13 grams or 2.38%
Feb 20 - 519 = 14 grams or 2.63%
Feb 27 - 503 = 16 grams or 3.08% Egg is wiggling!
Mar 06 - 485 = 18 grams or 3.58%
Mar 13 -
Mar 13-15 = Hatch
Now the questions. The eggs are either not reaching the goal or are over the goal. For example. egg 1 and 2 are under weight and I thought egg 1 was a dud cause it lost such little weight and egg 7 has lost so much that it is currently about 5 grams over the weight loss limit. What problems will I be expecting with those losses? Egg 4 looks to be on the nose almost for it's weight loss. I have a "medicine" cabinet for my Peafowl when they get something and also to prevent anything, it includes: wormers, corid, fish zole, baytril, tylan 200 and vitamins. What medications/vitamins should I have on hand for the Emus just in case? Excitment is starting LOL!​

Now the questions. The eggs are either not reaching the goal or are over the goal. For example. egg 1 and 2 are under weight and I thought egg 1 was a dud cause it lost such little weight and egg 7 has lost so much that it is currently about 5 grams over the weight loss limit. What problems will I be expecting with those losses? Egg 4 looks to be on the nose almost for it's weight loss. I have a "medicine" cabinet for my Peafowl when they get something and also to prevent anything, it includes: wormers, corid, fish zole, baytril, tylan 200 and vitamins. What medications/vitamins should I have on hand for the Emus just in case? Excitment is starting LOL!​

for underweight birds.. have electrolyte solution / bird vitamins on hand.. give them water by eye dropper as soon as they hatch because they will be dehydrated (Dorian was like this last year when he hatched)..
Also be prepared to tape legs for about a day. Dorian was "wobbly" he flopped around a lot (violent flopping because I suspect there was a lack of fluid in his muscles) so to avoid his legs from splaying I taped them for a day.. it helped stabilize him even though he was a bit slow to stand.. have iodine on hand for navels

for chicks that have not lost enough.. be prepared to assist at hatch since they won't be able to turn and break the egg easily. It is VERY possible the chick will have a large unabsorbed yolk.. I would have some neosporin or something similar on hand to coat the yolk sack to keep it from drying up before it's absorbed.. also make sure it won't end up sticking to whatever the chick is laying on. The chance of a ruptured yolk sack is very possible.. . You MIGHT be able to tie off a broken one with dental floss (I believe msheets on here had to do that .. or it could have been someone else?.. it's been a while).. I haven't had any bloated chicks so I'm not sure. The chick will have problems moving about until it has lost some of the excess fluid.. chances of loss are higher with chicks who are bloated

Now also remember the weight loss needs to be between 12 to 15% (+/- 1.2%).. so it can be as low as 10.8% or as high as 16.2% and you can still have a healthy chick hatch... I will have to check my records from last year and see if any were beyond those safe zones..

I bought an indoor outdoor carpet 6 x 9 feet at Costco today for $20. I made her a 6 x 4 foot pen in the spare bedroom for her to run around in. The other 5 feet of the rug is under the bed still rolled so when she ruins that side I can just roll it up and put the other 4 foot section out for her LOL. She seems to be standing up but as soon as the tendon pops she sits. It seems to help when I tape it but when I do he ankle swells a little. She still walks on the swollen ankle but I do remove the tape and the swelling goes down and as soon as he ankle is normal again the tendon pops. How come it don't pop out of place when the ankle is swollen?

her new digs:

Back
Top Bottom