Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Yes they are still a rocking! Callisto is doing much much better. Her leg is turned a little outward but not as bent inward. She is standing and seems to be trying to run but can only go so far LOL. She gave herself a little cut behind her hock with her nails when I went to hold her. It had a little strange looking blood then a clear liquid and now there is no swelling on her hock. I used rubbing alcohol on it and put a band aid and then re taped it. This time hardly any swelling of the ankle so I left the tape on today and see how it is doing tomorrow.

Yes they are still a rocking! Callisto is doing much much better. Her leg is turned a little outward but not as bent inward. She is standing and seems to be trying to run but can only go so far LOL. She gave herself a little cut behind her hock with her nails when I went to hold her. It had a little strange looking blood then a clear liquid and now there is no swelling on her hock. I used rubbing alcohol on it and put a band aid and then re taped it. This time hardly any swelling of the ankle so I left the tape on today and see how it is doing tomorrow.
strange looking blood?.. sounds like she may have bruised it or had a bit of infection in it (not sure since I didn't see what the blood looked like).. Maybe it just needed to be lanced?

Hoping she continues to improve! Just remember to keep an eye on her once you do remove the tape. at first sign of relapse i would put it back on.

Ok - Eggs in incubator overnight and two show signs of leakage - one worse than the other.

Egg#1 I removed

Question - Do I remove any eggs that show signs of leakage? I have one more with a few small spots.

Last edited:
Yes, if they're leaking they're no good, that one in the picture is particularly ripe. You can also put a small patch of masking tape on each of the others and let em sit for a day, then peel the tape back, if they're wet under the tape (And you'll know right away due to the smell) then they're no good either.

Ok - Eggs in incubator overnight and two show signs of leakage - one worse than the other.

Egg#1 I removed

Question - Do I remove any eggs that show signs of leakage? I have one more with a few small spots.

Hold off on it unless they start to smell or continues to ooze

I have never had an oozing egg hatch.. but Yoda had at least one oozing egg this season ...if I remember right his other eggs that we thought were oozing had been dripped on by the oozer.
I'm not sure which of Yodas were oozing.. so hopefully he can chime in and let us know how it's doing or if it was pulled.

i had 1 ooze this season.. so far it appears to be a dud.. no movement or tilt to the egg

Last edited:
Yes, if they're leaking they're no good, that one in the picture is particularly ripe. You can also put a small patch of masking tape on each of the others and let em sit for a day, then peel the tape back, if they're wet under the tape (And you'll know right away due to the smell) then they're no good either.

nice trick!
smile.png

Do you remember which of Yoda's eggs was oozing?

Egg#1 was clean and dry when it went in last night - When I got my eggs I post pics of two leakers and know then that two more were suspect. Should I clean the other one again and wait?

Back
Top Bottom