Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Came home from work and dropped a tray of 12 eggs about a foot to the ground - all eggs are 32 days old and one cracked. Should I keep incubating it?

Sealed the crack with "liquid skin" - I am so upset with myself never should have set them down where it was not safe
he.gif

I'm writing because I know you all can sympathize! I think my poor Maryland egg is dead in shell.
sad.png
It's on day 47 and has only wiggled once, about a week ago. Also it used to have 3 distinct temperature zones, but as of yesterday there's only two (the air cell end, and everything else). No "hot spot" anymore. And "everything else" cools down faster than it used to.

I'll still keep it in the incubator. I'm incubating at ~ 95.5 so theoretically it could hatch as late as day 58. I know that some of you have had eggs you were sure were duds that gave you a big surprise!! But I'm emotionally resigned to this one being a deader.

Meanwhile, I have one more chance, the egg from California (the "sister" to Yoda's egg). Sounds like it will be the big sister -- not only is it 2 days older, it's 92 g heavier!
It is the smallest I have ever incubated 457 grams. It is smaller then my first egg that hatched. I hope this one does hatch out cause I will now know what I need to do to make it survive and live a healthy life.
I keep reading my "Emu Farmer's Handbook" and I found some good words for you
smile.png
"Usually, first year breeders (two year olds) are most likely to produce really small eggs, 400 g or less. ...An egg can be tiny and still hatch out a perfectly normal chick. It will of course also be very small, but will in many cases eventually catch up to the larger chicks."

Makes me think of my son -- he was a preemie and started out at 2 lbs. Now he's 16 and almost 6' tall. We joke that it's because of all the time he spends in the aviary, the birds pooping on his head gave him a boost of fertilizer so he grew fast
gig.gif

Hi All,

I thought I'd chime in. I'm a first time emu hatcher. I bought 4 eggs from California and I live just south of Boston on the south shore. So they traveled cross country. Today is day 43 and I'm happy to say 3 of the 4 are wiggling like crazy. I've turned them twice a day.....morning and night, and have them in a styrofoam table top incubator so you can imagine how thrilled I am. If all 3 hatch this will be the best hatch rate on shipped eggs I've ever had. I can not wait until Sunday.....that's hatch day!!!!!

Today is day 43 and I'm happy to say 3 of the 4 are wiggling like crazy.... I can not wait until Sunday.....that's hatch day!!!!!
That's so exciting!!
wee.gif

Best of luck to you and your babies!

It makes me happy to hear that these eggs are doing so well even though they traveled all the way across country -- since one of mine made that trip too...

I know right. My two sons are adopted and our youngest was in foster care on a farm so we're nurturing his love of animals. We have ducks, geese and chickens. I bought the emu eggs on a whim and thought at the very least we'd have some gorgeous eggs to display. I have to be honest, I'm thrilled to meet these 3 little emus. And we'll still have the 4th did egg for display. Anyone with advice on how to preserve it would be appreciated, as well as advice on caring for the chicks once they hatch. I've done TONS of research but hearing from emu people makes me more comfortable than reading 21 different web site. 8 -)

I know right. My two sons are adopted and our youngest was in foster care on a farm so we're nurturing his love of animals.

Right with you on that one! We were homeschoolers through middle school and that was a big reason we built the aviary and chicken coop. Otherwise the kid would have disappeared into the computer and never come out
wink.png
It has really brought out his gentle side. He treats our chickens like puppies!

Quote: Speaking as a complete Newbie, these are the things that have helped me the most!

I've read Yinepu's summary about 20 times now.
bow.gif

It has the answers to all the questions that came up in my mind so far.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/emu-hatch-2013

I bought a used copy of this

Got mine for about $ 20 and worth every penny!!
(Does have some TMI -- I really didn't need to know about artificial insemination...
sickbyc.gif
)

AND....Here's the absolute best You Tube vids I've found.

Gerry the Emu
(vid by Raptor -- Gerry is about 1 yr old now)
This vid is pretty much what converted me...

Baby Emu learns to eat and drink
(vid by Raptor again -- this year's chick!)

Australian Emu from Egg to Adult
(Fred's Fine Fowl -- good summary of what they do at the different ages)

Crazy Emu Dance
Our own Supreme Emu said that this is the best captive emu habitat he has seen.

It's nice to have a place where we can "speak emu". My husband is getting really tired of the whole topic
gig.gif

Down to 5 eggs in my first set that are now 47 days old - 3 are moving when talked to and the other 2 have the "china sound when tapped" - Question should I pull the 2 that I think are duds or leave them in the incubator? They are not smelling bad.

Callisto and Sorin are going to enjoy the outdoors tomorrow! It's gonna be 65-70
big_smile.png
They will still need to be bought in at night cause it goes down to 30-40s.

I know right. My two sons are adopted and our youngest was in foster care on a farm so we're nurturing his love of animals. We have ducks, geese and chickens. I bought the emu eggs on a whim and thought at the very least we'd have some gorgeous eggs to display. I have to be honest, I'm thrilled to meet these 3 little emus. And we'll still have the 4th did egg for display. Anyone with advice on how to preserve it would be appreciated, as well as advice on caring for the chicks once they hatch. I've done TONS of research but hearing from emu people makes me more comfortable than reading 21 different web site. 8 -)

I have a link in my siggy for blowing out the emu eggs

Down to 5 eggs in my first set that are now 47 days old - 3 are moving when talked to and the other 2 have the "china sound when tapped" - Question should I pull the 2 that I think are duds or leave them in the incubator? They are not smelling bad.

i would leave them until all the others have hatched.. you just never know if you have a lazy and quiet baby in there until after hatch date has passed. (though they are probably duds.. it's just nice to play it safe if they aren't stinking)

Back
Top Bottom