Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

haven't had a chance since my husband got back from Afghanistan unexpectedly (injured while over there)
Best wishes to both of you!
hugs.gif

I just did a weighing, so I'm checking in...

The new egg (from California) is on day 4 and losing ~ 1.5 g a day, right on track.

The egg from Maryland is on day 40 and the weight is on track. No wiggles yet. However, as of today I can definitely feel 3 temperature zones when I hold the egg up to my cheek. This is after weighing and the egg has cooled a little. The end with the air cell feels "cold". The other side of the egg feels warm. But there's one small area that feels much warmer than the rest.
smile.png

I found two eggs! I just got them on ebay and I'll get them later this week. I'm not working right now and I'll be hand turning my eggs. Five times a day at least, but more if I'm around. I had two important questions.

1.) If I'm home more should I go ahead and keep rotating? Or is it better to stick to a very specific schedule? Like five times a day and don't vary it even if it's to do it more?

2.) I just realized that I have somewhere to go on April 20th. Are they okay with not being turned for around 9 hours? Can I turn them right before I leave and as soon as I get home? Or is this really risky? I may have to cancel my plans. :/

The dedication of you incubators impresses me. I'd climb the walls if I had to turn eggs five times a day for two months!!

Supreme Emu

ah.. it's nothing .. i have 7 incubators of assorted eggs cooking right now.. geese, muscovy, mandarins and chickens.. longest incubation in that bunch is muscovy with 35 days.. staggered hatches too.. and I am hand turning everything 5 times a day.. have 6 dozen eggs that were lost in the mail last week that SHOULD be here today.. so if they are alive and well they'll go in too.. plus starting a build on another bator as soon as the rest of the parts arrive

Quote:
Lol.. i did that last year with emu eggs too!

Quote:
yup.. 9 hours is fine.. it's just like if you were asleep at night.. ( I know I don't turn mine at night.. even with insomnia!)

well.. these arrived today.. just shy of 7 dozen.. only 3 broken eggs

24 Ameracauna
24 Bantam Frizzle X (possibly) Silkie
12 Silkie X
4 Silkie X Ameracauna (one survived shipping)
4 Buff Laced or Gold Laced LF Brahma X Bantam Frizzle Cochin / Silkie
2 green Silkie / Cochin / Brahma
2 mystery eggs
4 older, end of season Sebastopol eggs (probably infertile.. but I can't complain since they were free)
and from another source.. 7 Toulouse eggs

I still have 6+ Mandarin, 6+ Bresse, 20+ Euskal Oiloa, 18 Ancona duck, and 6+ Dorking eggs that should be here eventually (in transit).. course I may have forgotten a few.. lol.. I need to check my list! And that's not counting the eggs already in the incubators
By the way... SE.. they will all be hand turned.. 5 times a day... yeah... i need a life....
lau.gif

well.. these arrived today.. just shy of 7 dozen.. only 3 broken eggs

24 Ameracauna
24 Bantam Frizzle X (possibly) Silkie
12 Silkie X
4 Silkie X Ameracauna (one survived shipping)
4 Buff Laced or Gold Laced LF Brahma X Bantam Frizzle Cochin / Silkie
2 green Silkie / Cochin / Brahma
2 mystery eggs
4 older, end of season Sebastopol eggs (probably infertile.. but I can't complain since they were free)
and from another source.. 7 Toulouse eggs

I still have 6+ Mandarin, 6+ Bresse, 20+ Euskal Oiloa, 18 Ancona duck, and 6+ Dorking eggs that should be here eventually (in transit).. course I may have forgotten a few.. lol.. I need to check my list! And that's not counting the eggs already in the incubators
By the way... SE.. they will all be hand turned.. 5 times a day... yeah... i need a life....
lau.gif

Holy cow!
ep.gif
You're going to busy haha

The eggs are so much lighter than emu eggs, it's going to be a lot less work, right?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom