enclosure questions

lo pro chicks

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2015

Hi everyone,
so theres the enclosure under the tree, no bottom rail, thinking of wrapping it up with bird mesh (the kind that keeps birds out of gardens) and making a box for them on the outside that i can open and slide closed with a door. Mulch the bottom of it and put some branches inside. The quail i would want would be jumbo coturnix, about 10 of them.

Oh, the bottom rail would be out of pt 2x8, ststaple mesh to that and then wrap it all up with zip ties, the dimensions are 7'deep, 10' wide, 6' tall.

I live in holiday, fl, any advice would be appreciated and taken into consideration. I do want the quail i mentioned but if push comes to shove i would do multiple breeds. if you have pics of something similiar please share pics and ideas.
thanks, Dan

Last edited:
Try lookin at this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/280575/show-me-you-quail-pens

I would advise to think about any possible predator issues. Lizards? Snakes? Coons? Big predator birds? Anything you may not think you have near you... it will probably find you once you have tasty treats living in the yard! Just something to keep in mind. Better to build to be predator proof and not have em come than to have em come and ya not have predator proofed it.

Also a roof.

I know in Florida that moss hangs and grows all over. Might make a neat shade wall to hang it over some of the fence to grow? Or edible/ non poisonous plants or vines?

Good luck!

i see what your saying, my goal is to have this as much as a aviary as possible, im thinking hardware mesh the sides and top. Also, roof half of it And plant as much as i can inside With a 2' wide path inside from one side to the other out of crushed shells and oysters With a standing area for two on the inside of the gate..

Last edited:
Twocrows has ran pens like this for years now. Her birds always live a long spoiled life. Maybe she will come along and show you hers.... ;-) Or she likely has pix in the quail pen thread too....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom