"Energetic" Rock hens?

C-Dawg

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
In my local Craigslist ads, I see someone selling their Plymouth Rock hen. The ad said the bird was 8 months old, had recently started laying, and was "enthusiastic" about it-- specifically, that she had taken to cackling loudly every morning after laying an egg! The seller's neighbors had complained, so they felt compelled to sell.

I got a little worried, because one of my pullets (9 weeks old) is a White Rock. I'd hate to have my neighbors complain about one of my birds' loud "expressions of joy" after laying an egg! Is this a normal/common behavior? Do any of you have any experience with it?

Yes, it's very normal. Some pullets are more enthusiastic than others are. Some sing when they lay an egg, before they lay an egg, after they lay an egg, if they think about an egg, or if they think someone else is going to lay an egg. Others go about their business with no fan-fare. Consider this: a pullet sings about her egg. Many dogs, in the same neighborhood bark incessantly. People get more upset about chicken noises because it's not what they are used to.

I can tell you that my barred rocks have always been my most talkative birds and yes, always very enthusiastic to announce that they just laid an egg lol! But even aside from that, they spend all day cackling and commenting on everything. The last two I had would follow me around the barn while I did chores chatting up a storm with me, just always something to say!

Thanks for the info. I'm crossing my fingers on this-- especially since there's some pet a few doors down the block who starts the morning basically yelling his/her lungs out. It sounds like a goose! (And there's no local ordinance about keeping geese, BTW).

Chickens can be loud...hens can be as loud as roosters, and often for more accumulated time during the day.

Back
Top Bottom