English lop buck.. No sex drive?

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
My EL
lilily lanes Gordon aka Gordon, Is 1 and I have not been able to get him to breed. I have never had this problem before, I've tried him on 6 different does( all healthy and kept with adequate lighting). Some of these does have even kindled before.

It goes the same everytime.

Put doe in with Gordon, Gordon attempts to mount, doe does the great switch aroo and mounts Gordon. Gordon "gives up" and makes no further passes at the doe. Gordon and doe happily munch hay, pellets. Sip water and have a nice visit until I remove her back to her own cage.

Could he be sterile? Or more likely just have a very placid temperment? I've even tried to hold a doe for him...He doesn't like my interference.
Any suggestions?
He is gorgeous and I would love some kits from him. He also has an amazing temperment, its getting frustrating. I have a blue and a broken blue el doe that I would like to breed in the next week.

Hi! It's been a long time since I posted here, but I had to jump in with this one! We raise rabbits to show and we've had this happen before. I think a lot of it has to do with the time of year, but we had one buck that 6 months of routinely trying before he "got it" and became a dad. It's so frustrating!
We had a friend who this happened too, and it turned out the buck had no testicles. Does everything look normal?
Interestingly enough, I recently got a pair of English Lops and am having the opposite problem. I can NOT get my DOE to breed. I'm hoping its just the season, but she clamps down and will have nothing to do with it.
sad.png

Who ever made up the term "breed like rabbits" really REALLY has no idea! LOL
Rebecca In Kansas

Thanks!

It is frustrating! Spring will come though and I hope that will make all the difference. But I do supplement them with light so thought the season wouln't be a factor...Hasn't been in the past as long as the rabbits had at least 14hrs of light!

Can I see pics of your ELs? I just LOVE them!

26872_dscf6490.jpg

I'll have to see if this will work!!
Anyway, this is Murray. I don't have a picture of my doe, but she's a chestnut. I've been searching for ELops for over 3 years. They are just not around in this area. REALLY hoping to change that, but ONLY if I can get her to breed!!
smile.png

Our entire family shows: 13 year old son raises Havanas, and plays with Californians, Hubs and my 11 year old son raise Mini Rex. And my love is the ELops!

Love Murray! He looks SO good! Sometimes I see some and their faces look all distorted and ugly. Murray has a nice face and looks alot like Gordon( not color wise)

27498_100_1260.jpg

Its a horrible pic! But you get the idea!

I too haven't posted in awhile but this is an interesting topic so here it goes...
There are many reasons that he might not be wanting to breed for one he could be over weight, over weight bucks might loose complete interest in reproduction, I'm not quite sure how much he should way according to the standard I'll be sure to look it up for you when I am home. Another reason is if before you had him and when the previous owner tried to breed him something wrong happened that completely ruined his confidence, it could have happened probably before he was fully mature enough to breed...sure they are able to do it at 2 months old but they really shouldn't till like around 6-8 months. Another thing make sure his "stuff" is all there and seems healthy and normal. If you have the second thing, a buck with no confidence then put him with does that are ready to breed and very eager, or put his cage next to an eager doe let them get to know each other for 2 or 3 days then let her in with him.

Back
Top Bottom