Does this comb have a name or is it a mix?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I’ve been calling Roocifers comb a mix, people say it looks like a pinecone or the top of a pineapple. Does it have a proper name? He is a blue Brahma x bielefelder x blue laced red Wyandotte x Svarthöna- 8th generation of the Alaska ninja chicken project and he was expensive as heck 😅 luckily I got a deal on him since getting him would make an 8th gen breeding pair to create 9th gens

Attachments

• IMG_4132.jpeg
    IMG_4132.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5534.jpeg
    IMG_5534.jpeg
    914.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5532.jpeg
    IMG_5532.jpeg
    527.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5535.jpeg
    IMG_5535.jpeg
    826.1 KB · Views: 18
That's a heterozygous pea comb, sometimes called a 'modified pea comb'. What that means is that he has one copy of the pea comb gene and one copy for not a pea comb. The gene acts as a partial dominant, so two copies makes a proper pea comb, but only one copy gives you a comb that's kind of in between a pea and a single.

That's a heterozygous pea comb, sometimes called a 'modified pea comb'. What that means is that he has one copy of the pea comb gene and one copy for not a pea comb. The gene acts as a partial dominant, so two copies makes a proper pea comb, but only one copy gives you a comb that's kind of in between a pea and a single.
Thank you! That makes sense

IMG_20231206_145931.jpg
Thanks! I was wondering what my boy had. Looks like your roo's. Mine is half-Polish, half-mutt (possibly barnevelder or wyandotte blend), or possibly Cream legbar. He looks exactly like either possible Dad did as a chick, except Dad has a single.

Last edited:
View attachment 3703801Thanks! I was wondering what my boy had. Looks like your roo's. Mine is half-Polish, half-mutt (possibly barnevelder or wyandotte blend), or possibly Cream legbar. He looks exactly like either possible Dad did as a chick, except Dad has a single.

What you're actually seeing on him is the effect of the duplex comb from the Polish parent, not a heterozygous pea comb. The duplex comb gene, when heterozygous, causes what would otherwise be a normal single comb to split down the middle like that. 🙂

What you're actually seeing on him is the effect of the duplex comb from the Polish parent, not a heterozygous pea comb. The duplex comb gene, when heterozygous, causes what would otherwise be a normal single comb to split down the middle like that. 🙂
Cool! He is going to be an impressive rooster!

I’ve been calling Roocifers comb a mix, people say it looks like a pinecone or the top of a pineapple. Does it have a proper name? He is a blue Brahma x bielefelder x blue laced red Wyandotte x Svarthöna- 8th generation of the Alaska ninja chicken project and he was expensive as heck 😅 luckily I got a deal on him since getting him would make an 8th gen breeding pair to create 9th gens
oh wow how cool is that~ in one shot it looks like a pineapple!!

View attachment 3703801Thanks! I was wondering what my boy had. Looks like your roo's. Mine is half-Polish, half-mutt (possibly barnevelder or wyandotte blend), or possibly Cream legbar. He looks exactly like either possible Dad did as a chick, except Dad has a single.
I’m not sure what the name for it is but it almost looks like a Sicilian buttercup comb!

Back
Top Bottom