Enlarged, swollen lower abdomen. Not laying eggs for many weeks.

BernieandAbby

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2019
Our hen, Abby, is about 5 or 6. We got her 3 years ago. We have two hens. Both are not well right now. I will post about the other one, Bernie, later. She's all rusty buff colored, about the size of hens we've had in the past, like a rhode island red or silver laced wyandotte. I don't know what kind of hen she and the other hen are, they both look like the same type. About 6-8 weeks ago she was not laying eggs. She often had hidden her eggs in the outdoor run but we found none. I have inserted some olive oil with a syringe a few times a few weeks ago. She seemed to do better after this, less hunched up and more active but still no egg laying. Her lower abdomen seems very extended and the area feels taut. She is eating and pooping and moving around. Any thoughts on supporting her? She sleeps in a coop at night on a wooden rung. There are next boxes to sleep in if she wanted to. They are on a cement floor with access to the outdoors- grass, dirt, sun- from 7 am until sundown. They are fed organic feed and have access to fresh water.

Her lower abdomen seems very extended and the area feels taut. She is eating and pooping and moving around. Any thoughts on supporting her?
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your hen is having trouble. :(

Most likely causes of your description in no specific order...

Egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, ascites aka water belly, fatty liver syndrome, kidney issues, cancer/tumors.

Reproductive disorders are not uncommon at the stated age and the body starts to fail. Some things mentioned can be treated with antibiotics to prolong the life of the bird. Or fluid may even be drained off the abdomen with a syringe to ease the discomfort.

What I would do to support (in addition to narrowing down exact cause) would be switch to a grower or flock raiser feed if layer is being used and offer oyster shell on the side for those that are still laying. Excess calcium fed to non layers long term *can* (doesn't mean will) cause gout and possible kidney failure, but most likely in those genetically predisposed in some way.

Sometimes posture can be a great clue. Posting a pic might help others identify the condition she faces.

5 or 6 is a good long life. I'm not one who will prolong suffering and if a bird is standing weird they are in pain as they will do EVERYTHING in the power to not show any weakness and become first on a predators menu or worse dramatically eliminated from their own flock. Prognosis is poor and I would actually euthanize. But this will not be the right answer for everyone. :hmm

Hope they recover! :fl

Welcome to BYC. Your hen may be suffering from a reproductive problem, such as egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, salpingitis, or fluid in the belly (ascites.) Ascites causes clear yellow fluid to accumulate from liver failure, usually from EYP, cancer, or a heart problem. Antibiotics usually do not cure a reproductive problem, although some try them. Baytril, which is banned in chickens, is one that can treat all of the types of bacteria associated with repro problems. I would probably make her comfortable and feed her nutritious foods such as moist chicken feed, a spoonfull of plain yogurt mixed in every few days, and some chopped egg, liver, or tuna. But try to get her to eat mostly chicken feed, since it has all she needs. If she continues to fail, then you may want to consider a necropsy by your state poultry lab, or to do one yourself and take pictures of her organs to share here for opinions. Sorry that she is sick.

Welcome to BYC. Your hen may be suffering from a reproductive problem, such as egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, salpingitis, or fluid in the belly (ascites.) Ascites causes clear yellow fluid to accumulate from liver failure, usually from EYP, cancer, or a heart problem. Antibiotics usually do not cure a reproductive problem, although some try them. Baytril, which is banned in chickens, is one that can treat all of the types of bacteria associated with repro problems. I would probably make her comfortable and feed her nutritious foods such as moist chicken feed, a spoonfull of plain yogurt mixed in every few days, and some chopped egg, liver, or tuna. But try to get her to eat mostly chicken feed, since it has all she needs. If she continues to fail, then you may want to consider a necropsy by your state poultry lab, or to do one yourself and take pictures of her organs to share here for opinions. Sorry that she is sick.
Hi, thanks for this input. she is still eating, drinking and walking around. Also she is able to get up on her roost at night. We're in a wait and watch with her and will give her some of this things you suggest nutritionally.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your hen is having trouble. :(

Most likely causes of your description in no specific order...

Egg yolk peritonitis, internal laying, ascites aka water belly, fatty liver syndrome, kidney issues, cancer/tumors.

Reproductive disorders are not uncommon at the stated age and the body starts to fail. Some things mentioned can be treated with antibiotics to prolong the life of the bird. Or fluid may even be drained off the abdomen with a syringe to ease the discomfort.

What I would do to support (in addition to narrowing down exact cause) would be switch to a grower or flock raiser feed if layer is being used and offer oyster shell on the side for those that are still laying. Excess calcium fed to non layers long term *can* (doesn't mean will) cause gout and possible kidney failure, but most likely in those genetically predisposed in some way.

Sometimes posture can be a great clue. Posting a pic might help others identify the condition she faces.

5 or 6 is a good long life. I'm not one who will prolong suffering and if a bird is standing weird they are in pain as they will do EVERYTHING in the power to not show any weakness and become first on a predators menu or worse dramatically eliminated from their own flock. Prognosis is poor and I would actually euthanize. But this will not be the right answer for everyone. :hmm

Hope they recover! :fl
yes, thanks for this reply and thank you for hosting this site. It is challenging to find folks to ask about these chicken issues. We're challenged by some things going on with our other hen so we're in a wait and watch mode with her. I will incorporate some of your suggestions and post back soon.

Back
Top Bottom