Enough space?

Peoples

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2017
East Tennessee
Hello I have a friend moving and giving me her 10 chickens to add to my flock of 5. We are in process of completing a covered secured run that is 20x32 for outdoor yard. Current 5 are in a 10x10 barn stall and am planning to set the stall next to it as a coop extension for shared space. My question is is the outdoor run large enough for 15 birds and the two stalls at 10x10 each also big enough for 15 birds? Thanks in advance.

Hello I have a friend moving and giving me her 10 chickens to add to my flock of 5. We are in process of completing a covered secured run that is 20x32 for outdoor yard. Current 5 are in a 10x10 barn stall and am planning to set the stall next to it as a coop extension for shared space. My question is is the outdoor run large enough for 15 birds and the two stalls at 10x10 each also big enough for 15 birds? Thanks in advance.
There will always be a difference of opinions. You will know by the way the chickens act with each other.

That is more than enough space and good that they have it.
You will still want to do a "look don't touch" integration with the new flock where the two flocks can see one another for a least a week but not touch. Then you can remove barriers and allow them to mingle.
Make sure you have lots of things to perch on, dig through and hide behind in the run and give them at least 1 linear foot of roost space per bird. More would be better.

Yes, that will be a very generous space for 15.
I have a 10x10 stall coop as well and 20 look comfortable to me.
Do consider the ventilation and roost space carefully. They need 1 foot each and lower levels are not very useful since everyone wants to be as high as the others.

That should be plenty of space, including room for integration.

Theoretically 15 birds would need:

15 hens
  • 60 square feet in the coop. 8'x8' is easier to build than 6'x10'
  • 15 feet of roost
  • 150 square feet in the run. 10'x15', 12'x12' or 8'x20'
  • 15 square feet of ventilation.
  • 4 nest boxes.
Integration takes extra space both during the see-don't-touch period and the adjustment period and you're wise to be giving them plenty of elbow room.

Oversized facilities make everything easier. :)

I use the rule of thumb of 10 square feet of chicken run per bird. 15 birds X 10 square feet = 150 square feet. You have 200 square feet, so it should be more than enough. As mentioned, watch their behaviors. If overcrowded, they would display bad behaviors, which I don't think you have to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom