Equine Mats in the Coop?

Jul 30, 2022
Hey BYC!

We moved recently, and the chickens moved as well into a new coop about 2 months ago. After the move, the older hens developed bumblefoot, which we believe is associated with the concrete pavers at the base of the coop. We provided a ~1-inch layer of pine straw on top of the pavers, but it likely is not thick enough. We want to add more pine straws and clean the coop more regularly, but our supervisors noted the bedding is costly (explained in the last paragraph). Therefore, we currently have plans to try to create a workaround from the pavers.

We initially thought to remove the pavers entirely, but the coop has been built on top of the pavers, which makes them difficult to remove. The coop also sits lower than the surrounding ground, so we also worry that removing the pavers would worsen water drainage into the coop after rain. When we went to the vet, she recommended using equine mats. This appears to be the best solution so far; however, they are a bit pricey too.

Do y'all have other cost-effective ideas for bedding/paver removal?

From a cost perspective, we are on a bit of a tight budget because the garden does not receive funding from the university. The only funds we receive are through selling our produce to the university. Additionally, our supervisors said the garden will likely have to transition away from raising chickens in the future. It is not a decision that sits well with us, but it is what it is :(. From a business perspective, as lovely as our chickens are, they do not provide revenue as we can not sell their eggs (the university won't accept them because they are not pasteurized). They are also high maintenance and the recent vet trip certainly did not help. Regardless, we want the best for the chickens we currently have and are looking into ways to improve their situation.

Attached below is an image of the coop.

Attachments

• 20220608_172338 (1).jpg
    20220608_172338 (1).jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 24
Easiest solution I see is simply put more dry organic material on the ground so it's thicker than 1" -- more like 6-10" deep. Can definitely be free material too - more pine needles, raked leaves, grass, hay, wood chips, sawdust, shavings, etc. Doesn't even need to be cleaned out frequently, just keep adding more dry material for deep dry bedding. If you're on a University property, simply make friends with and talk with someone on the grounds crew and have them dump some rakings in the chicken area for you; trade them some eggs.

Easiest solution I see is simply put more dry organic material on the ground so it's thicker than 1" -- more like 6-10" deep. Can definitely be free material too - more pine needles, raked leaves, grass, hay, wood chips, sawdust, shavings, etc. Doesn't even need to be cleaned out frequently, just keep adding more dry material for deep dry bedding. If you're on a University property, simply make friends with and talk with someone on the grounds crew and have them dump some rakings in the chicken area for you; trade them some eggs.

Thank you for the response! I see what you're saying, I assume this would be similar to the deep litter method? My only concerns for this would be if there is moisture in the coop/anaerobic decomposition.

Hey BYC!

We moved recently, and the chickens moved as well into a new coop about 2 months ago. After the move, the older hens developed bumblefoot, which we believe is associated with the concrete pavers at the base of the coop. We provided a ~1-inch layer of pine straw on top of the pavers, but it likely is not thick enough. We want to add more pine straws and clean the coop more regularly, but our supervisors noted the bedding is costly (explained in the last paragraph). Therefore, we currently have plans to try to create a workaround from the pavers.

We initially thought to remove the pavers entirely, but the coop has been built on top of the pavers, which makes them difficult to remove. The coop also sits lower than the surrounding ground, so we also worry that removing the pavers would worsen water drainage into the coop after rain. When we went to the vet, she recommended using equine mats. This appears to be the best solution so far; however, they are a bit pricey too.

Do y'all have other cost-effective ideas for bedding/paver removal?

From a cost perspective, we are on a bit of a tight budget because the garden does not receive funding from the university. The only funds we receive are through selling our produce to the university. Additionally, our supervisors said the garden will likely have to transition away from raising chickens in the future. It is not a decision that sits well with us, but it is what it is :(. From a business perspective, as lovely as our chickens are, they do not provide revenue as we can not sell their eggs (the university won't accept them because they are not pasteurized). They are also high maintenance and the recent vet trip certainly did not help. Regardless, we want the best for the chickens we currently have and are looking into ways to improve their situation.

Attached below is an image of the coop.
The leaves are starting to fall, autumn is almost here. Grab a rake and go offer to rake a few people's gardens under the pretext you can take the leaves home. Ask them if they use any fertilisers or weed killers first!

Bumble foot is caused by infected cuts or splinters, it doesn't have anything to do with flooring or roosts. The pine straw might be sharp on the ends and causing it but chance are slim for that.
You can get leaves or wood chips from tree services, if you like that option of bedding.
This!!^^^

but the coop has been built on top of the pavers, which makes them difficult to remove. The coop also sits lower than the surrounding ground
You need to fix this, by either digging trenches to drain away any water or raising the ground in the run to be higher than the surrounding area.....or both.

The staph infecting your birds feet may be exacerbated by the wetness,

I have stall mats in my "barn coop", which is located inside my barn, which has concrete flooring throughout. Pine shavings in a thick layer over the mats. Has worked for years for me.

For stall mats you might search Craigslist. Also, depending upon where you are located, place an add to look for used stall mats and/or gently used cushioned rubber household mats, either on CL or local newspaper.

Sadly, since the powers that be at your institution have decided that chickens will eventually no longer play a part in your program, you might want to simply consider rehoming your girls now, before winter temperatures set in. You can advertise for, and (hopefully) find responsible new owners here at BYC in the Buy-Sell_Trade forum. Either re-home for free, or ask an adoption fee. Best of luck!

As others have said you need to fix the drainage issue - that can be as simple as digging some ditches to drain away water and/piling some berms to divert it away. Some straighforward shovel-work can be amazingly effective at keeping things nice and dry.
And secondly, as others have said, bedding is free for the taking. Mine live on free leaves from the trees around me combined with some shredded packing paper and some pine straw (from the white pines by my driveway).
It works very well and as well as being free comes with a bonus load of interesting bugs to rootle around and catch (or so my ladies tell me).
I actually pile all the leaves from the Fall up in a big heap and I top up their litter with the top layer that is usually dry when it is winter and in summer I don't worry if it is damp.

Back
Top Bottom