Ethyl is acting strangely

Im so sorry! The other 2 will eventually come around. If you wanted to contact your state vet through the department of Agricultural, alot of times they will do a free necropsy to find out how she died, then you will know for sure what your dealing with. But yes if you suspect worms, and they can kill if bad enough, id go ahead and treat the other 2

I'm not sure I want to bother with a necropsy - if it is something that virulent it won't matter, the other two probably have it already - although I really hope not. I'll just dose them, scrub the daylights outt of the coop :(and hope for the best. It's just really strange how whatever it was killed her so fast. :(

Might be a good idea to have a fecal done on your live birds to find out if they have worms.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Might be a good idea to have a fecal done on your live birds to find out if they have worms.

-Kathy

Good advice - I need to find a vet in my area who treats chickens. Will giving them the worm meds hurt them if they don't have worms?

Quote: You don't need a rooster for a pullet/hen to go broody. They will go broody with or without a rooster.

Well, I wanted to update everyone - although Ethyl roosted as normal last night, we found her dead in a corner of the coop this morning. I don't have any idea what could have killed her in one day.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

I am still going to get the medicines everyone recommended and dose my other two and scrub out the coop thoroughly today.

Is there any advice anyone can offer about the other two? I think they are looking and grieving for her - my RR actually was up in my lap 3 or 4 times and I held her and stroked her and she never does that.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.
I'm sorry. In CA we have free necropsies. Chickens are really good at hiding illnesses.

-Kathy

Good advice - I need to find a vet in my area who treats chickens. Will giving them the worm meds hurt them if they don't have worms?

Knowing what worms they have will dictate how to treat them. Capillary worms and gapeworms require Safeguard given orally for several days, cecal worms are treated with Safeguard once and repeat in 10 days, tapeworms are treated with praziquantel. Large roundworms are the easiest to treat... Those can be treated with single doses of Wazine (piperazine), Safeguard (fenbendazole), Valbazen (albendazole), and repeat in 10 days.

-Kathy

@Happy Chooks, I think California charges $20 (1-2 chickens, waterfowl, turkeys, or quail) for necropsies as of 10-2016. Limit two per day.

-Kathy

I'm in Florida and the lab is in Kissimmee, 3 hours away. I just buried her in the backyard in one of her favorite spots. :(

Started dosing the other 2 with the meds- they seem fine so far, both layed today and are eating and drinking like crazy - keeping my fingers crossed...

I'm in Florida and the lab is in Kissimmee, 3 hours away. I just buried her in the backyard in one of her favorite spots.
sad.png

Started dosing the other 2 with the meds- they seem fine so far, both layed today and are eating and drinking like crazy - keeping my fingers crossed...
What meds?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom