Euskal Oiloa ( Basque Thread)

The one on the top right looks like a gold laced Wyandotte. The marraduna should be that goldy cuckoo type colour with the black columbian flecks in the hackles. The whiter ones aren`t ideal for breeding as that barring gene may be only one copy or not present. We had one darker red mottled pullet (like the one middle bottom by the white pullet but even redder) but a predator got her about a week ago, she was such a sweetie.
sad.png
The gene pool is so small i have kept those mottled reds. I figure type, yellow leg colour and single combs are more important right now.

There is a Gorria colour solid red with black tail and on hackles and wings. They are extremely rare in north America, rarer than these marradunnas and I actually know of no-one that still has them. I think given the choice, the more striking Barred Marradunnas were kept. We had them and they were just as friendly. I wish we still had them, but they are gone.

This is our freindly gorria roo at about 5 weeks. See the maradunnas female, Blondie (now 3years old) behind him. They used to get up on the side of that brooder to get to us for attention. Scuse the grainy picture
babies009.jpg

As far as assertive, they do know who thye are and belly up to the feeder. Read, nosy, first at the front of the pack, greedy for treats, fast reflexes, when it comes to food. Example. Last night at roost time, getting closer to dusk, the Eos were milling about near the coop pop door considering going in and roosting. I took a pop can out of my riding mower cupholder about 30 feet away and tipped the flat pop out and crinkled it up. All 4 girls were there looking for treats in about 2 seconds! Closely followed by Big Bertha my Lavender Orpington! They are attuned to food and I notice the Penedesencas are the same way. So when they EOs get it, they gobble it quick, the pennies run off with it. They don`t bully or steal from others but if the food hits the ground, they are there right away. They have learned to be right under your feet for crumbs while you throw treats/corn out to the group.

As far as aggression, We`ve never had any incidents. I have seen them "doik" another hen on the head with their beak and are high in the pecking order, my sumatras are the same. I have heard of a couple of cases just this year where they have bullied, and I have no idea if lighting conditions, housing and social setup and mix of breeds in the group played a part. We've had these 3 years with co-housed with docile breeds like cochins and dorkings with no trouble at all. The roos are big and strong and friendly. Almost automatically top of their group too in the bachelor pens and don't seem to fight much. Their build and height goes a long way I guess, but maybe it's their confident attitude. We've never had one take a run at us, even when in breeding pens. Sometimes the youths like 10-14 weeks will try to grab your sleeve for breeding! I just grab them at the back of the neck and hold them by it for 10 seconds or so and repeat 2-3 times and they always stop after 1-2 occasions. Not all do it anyway. Speckled Jim, our 3 year old roo had never done anything like that and he loves to lean in for a cuddle with his eyes closed. My 3 roosters like to get on my knee and have a terrible sense of balance. They are a bit wobbly and will reach out with their beak to steady themselves.

Hope that helps. Ask away. I am lucky to be in a position to answer questions on these awesome chooks. I wrote the squidoo article because I thought people should know about them!

Last edited:
Thanks Claire for answering that. Mine will not bully and get along with every breed that I have. But mine will not take any crap either I've noticed. They just seem to smart too put themselves in a bad situation and learn quick.
I have a mixed flock of birds in there but the one speckled Brown looking one is Basque and as Claire said, the gene pool is small and I'm not getting rid of nothing but I will be doing select breeding only. In my personal opinion its the personality and nature of this breed that attracts me. They're a breed all their own!

The Marradunas are always at the front waiting for me. They love the attention. Had my two favorite gurlz in my lap sleeping while I was checking out the flocks running around. They love their backs rubbed.

92994_2011-06-05_19-28-58_964.jpg

Here they are in compound 1 ready explode out of the gate to run through the woods.

I studied abroad in the capital of Euskal Herria (the Basque County). I love the area, and their pride. Maybe some day I'll get a couple of these beauties to my little flock.

Back
Top Bottom