Euthanasia Question - Chemical Supply Source?

HoopyFrood

Songster
8 Years
Mar 21, 2016
Maine, USA
My Coop
My Coop
For those that have adopted euthanasia-via-ether as your preferred culling method:

Where do you get your ether?

I've only done the ether method once. It was very effective and humane compared to other methods I've tried/researched. Most people use automotive starter fluid. I know that's mostly (di)ethyl ether (or at least historically it has been). But there's other things in it too... I wasn't convinced those things would NOT cause any additional suffering/distress, so four years ago I opted to buy diethyl ether directly from a chemical supply company.

I no longer have enough to euthanize and I like to keep it on hand in case of unfortunate emergency. That company no longer sells to the public. The others I've found that do sell straight ether online, either sell in quantities too large (by the liter) or too small (milliliters) to be useful, and their prices are much higher than expected (about quadruple what it was four years ago).

Has anyone found a decent source for anhydrous ethyl ether? Or is everyone resigned to just using starter fluid? I'm still not sure that sounds like a good idea...

Unlike last time I had to cull, I now have access to a vet. Obviously they have the ideal chemicals (far easier and more humane than ether)... but those vets do not travel and having to take a beloved and ailing pet on a stressful, protracted journey just to be euthanized kind of defeats the purpose of trying to be humane...

Done right and well, the ether method CAN be humane. But it takes time and a lot of care; it's a challenge to induce unconsciousness without causing (potentially severe) discomfort. I experimented on myself with ether to learn what the chickens would go through. Low dosage for a protracted period in an open, well ventilated space is required to induce unconsciousness WITHOUT irritating eyes and mucous membranes. It's not easy! And I'm not at all confident if that procedure even should be carried out with automotive products...

So any good leads on anhydrous ether out there? Or is this a case of "no good answer" anymore?

P.S. Please no replies regarding other methods of culling. Too long a story to explain why. If I can't find a satisfactory source of clean ether, the vet will be the method I adopt (albeit very unenthusiastically).

Sorry to hear about your bird. I had to put a hen down once, and I took her to a vet. It’s easy, and they know what they’re doing. I was able to be with my hen when she was put to sleep. Is that an option for you?

Sorry to hear about your bird. I had to put a hen down once, and I took her to a vet. It’s easy, and they know what they’re doing. I was able to be with my hen when she was put to sleep. Is that an option for you?
Thank you for the reply!

I ended up taking my ailing hen to the vet and the diagnosis/treatment seemed (continues to seem) just what was needed. So the conversation never turned to euthanasia.

I know the procedure is super simple. But transporting the chicken is the hard part (logistically). I CAN do things that way; but it would be far more ideal to administer something at home (both for me and the chicken).

I still haven't found any affordable source of lab quality ether. But I found some leads on other compounds; I believe the ones used by vets for euthanasia. So I have more research ahead of me. But if I can find a good compound and am confident in my ability to administer it, that's what I'll do. Hopefully time is on my side to do so ;) It seems to be at this point!

Thank you for the reply!

I ended up taking my ailing hen to the vet and the diagnosis/treatment seemed (continues to seem) just what was needed. So the conversation never turned to euthanasia.

I know the procedure is super simple. But transporting the chicken is the hard part (logistically). I CAN do things that way; but it would be far more ideal to administer something at home (both for me and the chicken).

I still haven't found any affordable source of lab quality ether. But I found some leads on other compounds; I believe the ones used by vets for euthanasia. So I have more research ahead of me. But if I can find a good compound and am confident in my ability to administer it, that's what I'll do. Hopefully time is on my side to do so ;) It seems to be at this point!
Can you share what some of those chemicals might be? I have had a couple situations where I would like to have the option to humanly euthanize at home and haven't had the right chemicals. What do you suggest if no ether is available? TIA!

Just FYI, in laboratories ether is forbidden for all species for being too inhumane a dispatch method. It needs to be remembered that what's easy on the human doing the killing is not always what's easy on the animal being killed. Cervical dislocation (chopping off heads or breaking necks), however, is an approved humane dispatch method for several species, including chickens.

I found some leads on other compounds;
If you're considering starter fluid or brake cleaner.. maybe consider CO2.. As simple as baking soda and vinegar..

https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...moving-their-head-or-breaking-their-neck.html

But transporting the chicken is the hard part (logistically)
Especially when vets aren't always available. My pets never get ill when it's convenient.. And the vet charges extra for emergency appointments during regular hours and doesn't respond to weekend calls.. regular appointments themselves being scheduled nearly two weeks out in my location.

That's great news, hope she continues to thrive! :fl

Last edited:
If you're considering starter fluid or brake cleaner.. maybe consider CO2.. As simple as baking soda and vinegar..

https://www.chickenheavenonearth.co...moving-their-head-or-breaking-their-neck.html

Especially when vets aren't always available. My pets never get ill when it's convenient.. And the bet charges extra for emergency appointments.. regular appointments being scheduled nearly two weeks out in my location.

Agreed! Glad the bird is doing well.

I know you weren’t interested in other methods, but I’ll pile on with eggsighted.

CO2 may be a viable asphyxiation alternative. But, rather than baking soda and vinegar, dry ice is pretty rapid. It’s at least worth looking into.

That said, glad she’s doing well 😊

Especially when vets aren't always available. My pets never get ill when it's convenient.. And the bet charges extra for emergency appointments.. regular appointments being scheduled nearly two weeks out in my location.

Why is that? Mine always always get sick during the holidays or while I’m on vacation. I can prepare for weeks and then the day I leave one drops dead or gets super sick or we find mites…it’s always something and always at the worst times! 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Can you share what some of those chemicals might be? I have had a couple situations where I would like to have the option to humanly euthanize at home and haven't had the right chemicals. What do you suggest if no ether is available? TIA!
Sorry I've been too busy to get back to this thread. I had no idea it was so active! Let me get caught up. The substance and source I can't remember off the top of my head. But I found it in a thread on BYC, so the info is here. Stand by...

Especially when vets aren't always available. My pets never get ill when it's convenient.. And the vet charges extra for emergency appointments during regular hours and doesn't respond to weekend calls.. regular appointments themselves being scheduled nearly two weeks out in my location.

Thank you! Sorry for the delay. Found a solution and life has just been awfully busy and I didn't know folks had responded!

The chickens are all very well (apart from needing a worming)!

Just so you know asphyxiation (CO2) is a terrifying experience. I almost suffocated while sleeping in a waterproof bivy.... I'd never use it to dispatch anything. Chopping of a head or cervical dislocation (or even a kill cone) are much more humane than asphyxiation (by any method apart from one I devised using ether, but it's complicated).

Back
Top Bottom