Euthanasia Question - Chemical Supply Source?

Just FYI, in laboratories ether is forbidden for all species for being too inhumane a dispatch method. It needs to be remembered that what's easy on the human doing the killing is not always what's easy on the animal being killed. Cervical dislocation (chopping off heads or breaking necks), however, is an approved humane dispatch method for several species, including chickens.
That makes sense because labs have easy access to much more sensible methods. Ether is quite difficult (but not impossible) to make humane.

Agreed for most folks, CD or the chop are probably the methods that make the most sense. But those are not for me for personal reasons.

Regardless I found a much better solution than ether searching the BYC forums. It's what's used in most veterinary clinics. Easy, painless, and quick. So our flock now, thankfully, has a much better option (IMO) than most.

Just so you know asphyxiation (CO2) is a terrifying experience.
What you experienced was not a gas exchange.. more similar to drowning which is NOT an "approved" humane method for euthanasia.

CO2 is an approved humane method... IF administered properly.. causes unconsciousness first. Starting on page 28 of the American Veterinary Medical Association Guidelines on Euthanasia in the following link is the technical information associated with the method in different species and such.. Other good info on stress response and other considerations to be made in earlier pages..

https://www.avma.org/sites/default/files/2020-02/Guidelines-on-Euthanasia-2020.pdf

I harvest my birds "humanely", for the dinner table without issue and am familiar with decapitation (tree loppers not ax), kill cones, and cervical dislocation.. have tried them all (and get why it's not always easy or feasible) and don't need to argue this point, whether CO2 is humane or not, the information is linked.. I thought it was at least an equal & same type of method to what you were choosing to do but with easier to find "chemicals" since in post #3 you had "found a lead on other compounds".. or as you had requested in your original post would I not have made any suggestion at all as to "alternative" methods.. (All friendliness here!)

I'm glad you found something that works for you! This information is here for folks that may not have your same options, understanding, or experiences.

What you experienced was not a gas exchange.. more similar to drowning which is NOT an "approved" humane method for euthanasia.

CO2 is an approved humane method... IF administered properly.. causes unconsciousness first. Starting on page 28 of the American Veterinary Medical Association Guidelines on Euthanasia in the following link is the technical information associated with the method in different species and such.. Other good info on stress response and other considerations to be made in earlier pages..

https://www.avma.org/sites/default/files/2020-02/Guidelines-on-Euthanasia-2020.pdf

I harvest my birds "humanely", for the dinner table without issue and am familiar with decapitation (tree loppers not ax), kill cones, and cervical dislocation.. have tried them all (and get why it's not always easy or feasible) and don't need to argue this point, whether CO2 is humane or not, the information is linked.. I thought it was at least an equal & same type of method to what you were choosing to do but with easier to find "chemicals" since in post #3 you had "found a lead on other compounds".. or as you had requested in your original post would I not have made any suggestion at all as to "alternative" methods.. (All friendliness here!)

I'm glad you found something that works for you! This information is here for folks that may not have your same options, understanding, or experiences.

Yes, I did find a seditive-based method that requires merely an injection. Perfect for us as our flock are dear pets; kept for fun, not production.

You certainly have explored the ins and outs of this! No harm in sharing more information for posterity's sake, for sure. Thank you! :)

Back
Top Bottom