evening routine

Ahmeds Hens

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 19, 2012
England UK
Hi!
I have 4 mixed breed girls about 20 weeks. we've had them for approx 7 weeks now they free range in our back garden, and for the last week or so each evening they all huddle together on my kitchen window sill. when i go out at sunset to get them in their coop they make lots of fuss and refuse to go in, I have to lift them off which they really dont like. Not sure if this is causing them stress but i dont know what to do.
I was told that they usually return to the coop themselves! so where am i going wrong?
also they are not laying yet, any suggestions please

When you first got them, did you lock them in the coop for a few days so they would know it is home? Depending on where you are now, it might be too hot to do that but if it is doable, that might be a good start to training them to think of it as the place to return to at night.

I did the few days in the coop to get them familiar to their new home. Usually by 8:30 or so, they go to the coop themselves. My daughter's chicken's go to her porch step when they are tired, then she has to put them in their cage. Coop is almost finished. We are new with chicken's and have been learning as we go.

hi Thanks for your post. we did do that for a couple of days but since then we have moved the coop to a more suitable place ..... should we try to retrain them by keeping them in the coop for couple more days? were in Lancashire England UK so the weather unfortunately is not too hot.

Back
Top Bottom