Ever feel lonely when you dont have any PM's waiting for you?

Hi everyone, I need your help. I have a problem. I think I might have a duck with wet feather. I know nothing about duck diseases. I think I am doing something wrong.I noticed yesterday that she was not drinking along with the others. She looks 'wet' and 'muddy' and her eyes look sick. Now today, while I was taking out their little bath tub to rinse it out, I shoo'd them back and I noticed she could not jump up on their little house with the others. They have a habit of sitting up on their little hut I made them.
Currently I am housing them in an above ground pen and am putting straw for them to nestle and they have the little house, but dont' seem to go in it. I have an enclosed on ground pen, but the only 'house' I have in there is a large dog house. I had read that calls needed to be out of the wind, ect, so I decided to use the above ground pen.

My son had the internet card all day, so I could just now look up wet feather. It seems like what she has. I went out to the pen and picked her up, and she now is actually feeling wet and cold. I put her in a towel and brought her in the house and have her in a dog crate on newspaper. I put her water to only a little drinker she cannot put her body in.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong? Should I not put any straw in the above ground pen? I am reading they should be eating wheat, how would I get just wheat?

I am worried.
hit.gif
She seems weak. She is quacking now that she is in the house.
One of the white's neck area also looks 'wet' but she is not wet or cold. I brought her in too. I hope I don't kill them by bringing them in the house.

Should I move them into the ground pen, even with the weather we are having? Help me please. Goodness I hope I dont' kill them all.
hit.gif

Quote:
Oh Crap Jazzy I only have 1 duck and I dont even know what wet feather is. I do know my duck was sick with a respitory thing for 10 days and he stayed in the house-have you posted in the "duck" or emergency section? Do that--copy your whole post and paste it there ASAP!!! Im sorry Ill go researching~

Good morning girls. We got some snow last night. It is really windy and 19. Looks like a winter wonder land again!

I just slept in until 10 minutes til 8
ep.gif
That never happens! The worst part, I went to bed at 8:30
th.gif
big_smile.png

Michelle I hope you have a good day at work
fl.gif

Have a happy saturday peeps!

Jazzy I am so sorry to hear about your duck
sad.png
I have never had one and can be of no help at all. I hope you can find someone that can help you
fl.gif
It is just like being a parent with a sick child, you feel so darn helpless when you can't fix it
hugs.gif

Hi there everyone

Thank you for your thoughts! My little butterscotch call duck is still alive. She took one small drink of water last night that I could see and seemed weak. Today she is standing up and so seems a bit stronger. I am unsure of what to do. My DH called a farmer friend and he is going to bring us some wheat. Maybe I am not getting them the correct diet? I can seem to find no 'duck' feed anywhere around here. I read the wheat germ will re-oil the feathers?
I wonder if I should take away their swim pan for now? Just give them a water bowl they cannot climb in?

Hope you have a good day all!

Hi there gang

My girl is still with us. I made some changes, I went and found some different feed. The only other thing I could find was a combo pigeon/turkey/duck mix. I noticed it said wheat middlings in the ingredients. A friend is bringing DH some whole wheat tonight. I moved them into the ground pen. I put them in the little hut and they picked up on how to go in right away.

The sick girl ate a bit this afternoon and drank a bit more. She is still weak and falls over.
sad.png
I am going to keep her in the house in the dog crate for now, I hope the drastic change in temperature does not make her even worse. I don't know what else to do. I did not get any responses on the illness board.
Other than the feed being incorrect (not sure it was but might be?) I don't know what else I am doing wrong.
One of the whites is looking slightly the same. I am so worried but slightly encouraged that she is eating. That has to be a good sign, right?

Hope you are having a good Saturday.

Sher

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom