Just a lonely girl

unbaked pegga

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon TN
Late last summer a raccoon got into my coop and killed all of my hens but one, a blue black splash Orpington. Since then she has been alone. I am getting 3 Orpington chicks with a hatch date of May 15. It’s not as long a wait as it has been but it still has a way to go. I have come out here and sat with her every single day to keep her from being so lonely, except when it is pouring rain So far she has been doing fairly well but have I noticed in the last week or so she has become more subdued. I put out a fair size mirror to see if it might interest her and at first she would run up to the mirror and bump her chest on it (so cute) she was interested in it until 2 or 3 weeks ago.Now she goes and lays in front of it but that’s all. It will be enough of an adjustment for her when I get new chicks and I have looked high and low to find a chicken just for her to see but because of the high egg prices there aren’t many chickens to be found here. They are as scarce as hens teeth so to speak. Are there any suggestions of what I can do for her to keep her interested until the new ones come in? (I got one am totally sick of sitting this hen!

Late last summer a raccoon got into my coop and killed all of my hens but one, a blue black splash Orpington. Since then she has been alone. I am getting 3 Orpington chicks with a hatch date of May 15. It’s not as long a wait as it has been but it still has a way to go. I have come out here and sat with her every single day to keep her from being so lonely, except when it is pouring rain So far she has been doing fairly well but have I noticed in the last week or so she has become more subdued. I put out a fair size mirror to see if it might interest her and at first she would run up to the mirror and bump her chest on it (so cute) she was interested in it until 2 or 3 weeks ago.Now she goes and lays in front of it but that’s all. It will be enough of an adjustment for her when I get new chicks and I have looked high and low to find a chicken just for her to see but because of the high egg prices there aren’t many chickens to be found here. They are as scarce as hens teeth so to speak. Are there any suggestions of what I can do for her to keep her interested until the new ones come in? (I got one am totally sick of sitting this hen!
Have you looked on Facebook for a chicken group in your state and or your part of the state? I'm in Wisconsin and I'm in about 6 groups so when I'm trying to either find something or sell something, I go to those groups. Other than the countless number of people I've seen with fertilized eggs or chicks, I've also seen posts of people who have to get rid of a small flock for one reason or another. I'm sure it's the same in your state.

I wish we were closer as I'd take her here to give you a break until you get more chickens.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom