Everyone, post your best homemade chicken feed recipes!

I don't know about where your at but most all bigger feed mfg.'s that I know use a software to figure a set batch of feed.
Also I believe your referring to the Parson's Square not Parson's Table and Sunflower Meal or Sunflower Expeller that is between 22% - 42% protein and not just plain Sunflowers (Black Oil Sunflower Seed or Striped Sunflower Seed) which has a protein amount of 15 to 18 percent.

The system that I use is simple, easy and used by some of the local mills that don't us a software plus you can use the same figuring for all relating to a set batch of feed (Proteins, Amino  Acids, Fat, Energy, Vitamins, Minerals, etc..).

Example,
For example lets say your mixing 25 lbs. of Soybean meal and 75 lbs. Corn together and you want to know the ending protein amount.
(corn protein amount being 7.5% protein per 100 lbs. and the soybean meal protein amount being 48% protein per 100 lbs.)

Corn -
7.5% protein ÷ 100 lbs. =  0.075% protein per pound
0.075% per pound protein x 75 lbs. = 5.625% proteins

Soybean Meal -
48% protein ÷ 100 lbs. = 0.48% protein per pound
0.48% per pound protein x 25 lbs. =  12% proteins

5.625% proteins + 12% protein = 17.625 Total proteins...

I worked in a mill and buy from a mill and deliver grain to a mill. Not all feed is computer mixed. Most Mills have already made feed mixures. Pearson's table or pearsons square, call it what you want. Oh and your math is wrong. Pearsons table or square helps you determine the mix of protein versus grains. This table or square is used in the program that the computers run. Go to the app store they have plenty of apps just for this.

100 lb. Mix
30 soymeal. (Protein)
30 corn
10 oats
10 wheat
10 Milo
5 bone meal
2 1/2 calcium or shells
2 1/2 salt

This mix is estimated to be a 21%+ mix.
Increase the grains and decrease the proteins and the level will change. That is what pearsons is used for.
Also you can only feed peas or field peas no more than 1/4 of the mix. You have to pay attention to the protein used. Some do not contain all minerals needed. ANY sunflower can not be used as a main ingredient, same with flax. Soy meal is used because it contains all the needed minerals and vitamins for the price.

Here is my chicken bird crumble recipe:

6 cups 12 grain cereal
2 cups dried split peas
1 cup textured vegetable protein
2 Vitamin A+D capsules
Pulse above ingredients in blender and dump into a large bin with lid.

Then add:
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup flaked quinoa
1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds pulsed in blender
1 1/2 cups hulled sesame seeds
1 cup powdered milk
1/2 cup ground flax
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt

Mix well. Add 1/4 cup coconut oil and mix with hands to get the smaller particles to stick together.

I also make a paste which they love.
1 can pumpkin
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 egg
3 tbsp. textured vegetable protein
3 tbsp. powdered milk
1/2 tsp salt
Bring just to a boil, remove from heat, cool and pulse in blender until almost smooth.

-OR-

1/2 can lentils
1 brick frozen spinach
1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
1 egg
3 tbsp. textured vegetable protein
3 tbsp. powdered milk
1/2 tsp salt
Same preparation instructions as above.
I put two dollops of the paste on an aluminum lasagna pan with two big handfuls of the crumble and some grit. Usually by the time I go out to feed again (I feed 4x daily) they have eaten absolutely everything or close to it. It takes a little trial and error to get just the right amount with no waste as it is obviously kind of expensive feed. I used the Merck vet manual nutritional requirements of poultry as my guide.

I also sprout wheat grass for them.

Last edited:
I wanted an organic scratch without soy,{ soy sensitive person in my friendship circle,} I also didn't want cracked corn in the scratch for summer. I'm mixing my own scratch of hard wheat times two , oat groats, barley, BOSS. Nine chickens get 1 1/2 cups in evening. I will add pop corn in winter. They love it! They also get their regular layer feed and free range all day with my Great Dane babysitting the herd.

Thanks for that! As a newbie I read Beckie's homestead feed formula when I was searching for soy free feed ideas. i took some of it but left more of it. She says to feed pop corn because of the smaller size. I have a small chicken and was scared of dent corn. I like the idea of whole corn, what do you think of that?

Thanks for that! As a newbie I read Beckie's homestead feed formula when I was searching for soy free feed ideas. i took some of it but left more of it. She says to feed pop corn because of the smaller size. I have a small chicken and was scared of dent corn. I like the idea of whole corn, what do you think of that?

Corn is mostly a filler; it contains some vitamin A but really it's just calories. Soy is used to improve protein levels and because it is a complete protein with all necessary amino acids. I put powdered milk in my crumble; maybe try that? Nuts and seeds are good protein sources too, although expensive and not as complete as soy.
I'm willing to bet you could feed some soy to your birds and your soy sensitive friend would never know. Commercial mixes over use it because it's cheap.

my neighbor feeds his chickens whole corn with some wheat and barley, they eat some bugs and grass and sleep on the tree! he has 30 laying hens and get 25-30 eggs per day. his chickens are heritage chickens, no hybrids.

my neighbor feeds his chickens whole corn with some wheat and barley, they eat some bugs and grass and sleep on the tree! he has 30 laying hens and get 25-30 eggs per day. his chickens are heritage chickens, no hybrids.

I suspect the key to his success is the free ranging. You're in a temperate location where that would be a viable option.

Back
Top Bottom