Everyone, post your best homemade chicken feed recipes!

I am in a cold climate, we hit -30 to -50 with wind chills sometimes and mine stay closer to the hen house on those days but are normally free ranged, no additional lighting or heat and they weathered just fine because they had time to also get used to it like wild animals, They got more down like any other animal gets and undercoat for super cold weather if left to their own devices, had it sticking out through their feathers but didn't loose a single one.

Had a few hatch late and kept them inside for the winter as they hadn't had time to acclimatize on their own

I suspect the key to his success is the free ranging. You're in a temperate location where that would be a viable option.

we live on an island and our chickens are lucky to have a run as we are short of space. in cold months we have some grass while in summer we try to grow vegetables and chickens get some. I think local breeds are healthy birds and good layers. I have some hybrids and some pure breeds and I do have some health issues. I get a lot of eggs but not as many as my neighbor.

I have started to sprout corn together with wheat and barley. I hope to save some money as the quantity doubles.

Im new to keeping chickens and im terrified im not feeding them the right things. My girls are very picky they wont eat layers pellets, grated carrots or apples at all. Ive made them home made flock blocks and they like them. Im picking up some ideas from BYC but do they have to eat layers pellets. I have 6 girls and im getting 5-6 eggs a day. My husband thinks im worrying for nothing.

Mostly worrying for nothing. The most important thing you need to remember is chickens are omnivores. So do not rely on one or two things to feed them, you need to provide a wide variety. I give mine meat once a week (not alot, just what they can gobble up quickly) I provide corn to fatten them, and then a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and some more grains. Make sure you offer calcium, in a separate dish (that is what the layer pellets have that your pellets do not)
I have toddlers, so I have a plethora of kitchen scraps. But just offer them as wide a variety as possible keeping in mind what is toxic to chickens.

Mostly worrying for nothing. The most important thing you need to remember is chickens are omnivores. So do not rely on one or two things to feed them, you need to provide a wide variety. I give mine meat once a week (not alot, just what they can gobble up quickly) I provide corn to fatten them, and then a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and some more grains. Make sure you offer calcium, in a separate dish (that is what the layer pellets have that your pellets do not)
I have toddlers, so I have a plethora of kitchen scraps. But just offer them as wide a variety as possible keeping in mind what is toxic to chickens.

Thankyou so much Organicfarmwife i give them fruit and veg im introducing different things all the time.Any advice is gratefully recieved

Im new to keeping chickens and im terrified im not feeding them the right things. My girls are very picky they wont eat layers pellets, grated carrots or apples at all. Ive made them home made flock blocks and they like them. Im picking up some ideas from BYC but do they have to eat layers pellets. I have 6 girls and im getting 5-6 eggs a day. My husband thinks im worrying for nothing.

I'm betting if you cut out the treats 100% they will eat the pellets, they are like children if you let them skip dinner and go right for desert they will choose that option almost every time...

No you don't need 'layer' pellets the only difference between layer and regular feeds is the calcium levels, offer them a side of oyster shells and you can feed them just about any type of balanced diet from your own to a commericial feed... I tend to avoid layer when possible as I have a mixed flock and the excess calcium is not good for non-layers... I can usually get a non-medicated chick feed o all flock feed for nearly the same price, so I go that route as my 24/7 feed option, while they get a plethora of fresh food each day...

Last edited:
I don't feed much treats except fruit and veg and a few meal worms. But I've started giving them sprouted seeds cos of them not eating the layers. I've also planted some seeds under mesh in their enclosure to give them something extra.

I don't feed much treats except fruit and veg and a few meal worms. But I've started giving them sprouted seeds cos of them not eating the layers. I've also planted some seeds under mesh in their enclosure to give them something extra.

As I said cut out the treats 100% don't give them any fruit, vegetables, sprouted seeds and meal worms and they will start to eat the layer feed, then you can re-introduce the treats slowly and in moderation...

Back
Top Bottom