Everyone, post your best homemade chicken feed recipes!

The mill or any ma/pa type feed store should be able to order a bag for you...

my state rep got back to me and said to contact a company in MO(i'm in KS) for ordering small amount and that company should ship the stuff anywhere i want it. and i'll call the mill but i have no ma and pa type feed store only an Orschlens and if the mill is like the other i've called about feed or like Orschlens and wants me to buy 10 bags or a ton thats not gonna happen and would rather pay shipping for 1 bag.

should i get the original xpc or the original xpc ultra? and if i just want to sprinkle it on the feed how much should i sprinkle? cause the ultra says 1.25 per ton for poultry and the regular xpc is 2.5lbs per ton. and does it stick to the feed at all?

should i get the original xpc or the original xpc ultra?

I would make that decision based on price..

and if i just want to sprinkle it on the feed how much should i sprinkle? cause the ultra says 1.25 per ton for poultry and the regular xpc is 2.5lbs per ton. and does it stick to the feed at all?

I never actually measure it, giving more than they recommend won't hurt them so you don't need to be precise or even close... I would not even worry about putting the entire 50 lbs into a ton of feed, as it has a decent nutrient profile itself and a decent amount of protein as well... As for it sticking, it's a powder like flour and it sort of sticks but some does of course sift to the bottom... I never worry about the stuff that falls to the bottom as it never really builds up beyond a light coating they seem to end up eating it eventually...

Last edited:
I never actually measure it, giving more than they recommend won't hurt them so you don't need to be precise or even close... I would not even worry about putting the entire 50 lbs into a ton of feed, as it has a decent nutrient profile itself and a decent amount of protein as well... As for it sticking, it's a powder like flour and it sort of sticks but some does of course sift to the bottom... I never worry about the stuff that falls to the bottom as it never really builds up beyond a light coating they seem to end up eating it eventually...

am planning on getting the feed this weekend...would it be ok to do the hog mix so it it has some vitamins and minerals added and then add the Diamond V once it arrives by just sprinkling it on top of the feed when put it in feeders? and should i do 5lb or 10lb if i add the hog mix?

am planning on getting the feed this weekend...would it be ok to do the hog mix so it it has some vitamins and minerals added and then add the Diamond V once it arrives by just sprinkling it on top of the feed when  put it in feeders? and should i do 5lb or 10lb if i add the hog mix?

Sure get the hog supplement added it wont' hurt... As for how much Diamond V, I believe the stated shelf life of a bag is two years, so dose out so you run out in less than two years and don't waste it, the extra won't hurt in the least...

Sure get the hog supplement added it wont' hurt... As for how much Diamond V, I believe the stated shelf life of a bag is two years, so dose out so you run out in less than two years and don't waste it, the extra won't hurt in the least...

ok thanks...like said am getting the feed the 6th i think and will be ordering that bag of diamond v the 5th so it should be just a couple days before the DV arrives but just wanted something in the feed even though the hog mix may not have everything need but it'd hopefully be enough till the DV got here and the DV will make it better

Lets see

2X9=18

3x14=42

1x13=13

2x16=32

1x24=24

1x24=24

1x24=24

.25x45=11.25

.5x34=17

Total=205.25

divided by 11.75=17.46% protein...

Nice work.....
/img/smilies/thumbsup.gif

I personally like kelp and alfafa.  The alfalfa for when I do not have green on the range.

ON

What is this equation and how can I use it for my feed combination?

What is this equation and how can I use it for my feed combination?

Convert all feed to a standardized unit, say pounds or ounces...

Determine % protein in each component as a dry matter...

Then the equation looks like this...

Number of units of ingredient one times percent protein + number of units of ingredient two times percent protein + number of units of ingredient thee times percent protein and so on, divided by total number of units of feed...

So for example if you used these three ingredients...

2 pounds of ingredient one at 14% protein
4 pounds of ingredient two at 20% protein
5 pounds of ingredient three at 15% protein
0.5 pound of ingredient four at 25% protein

The math would look like this...

Feed unit time protein level....

(2*14) + (4*20)+ (5 *15) + (0.5 * 25)

Take the total from the above and divide by the total number of units (2+4+5+0.5) or 11.5

((2*14) + (4*20)+ (5 *15) + (0.5 * 25)) / 11.5

= 17%

BTW if you do it in the equation format I just posted above you can drop it right in a Google search and Google will spit out the answer for you...

Back
Top Bottom