Ex Broody still not laying-

Teya

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 24, 2014
HI there I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice- I'm a relatively new chicken mama. We have four pullets- my java started laying at 18 weeks- she layed for about a month and then went broody- I was finally able to break her of it after about two weeks- she lost a little weight, but she seems fine. She's out and about with the other girls now, but it's been almost two weeks and she's still not laying. Is this normal? She's also really cranky with me- I guess she didn't like constantly being forced out of the nesting box- she used to always come right over to me and loved being held but now she just squawks and flies free- I'm going to have to rebuild some trust I think- but I'm really concerned about the eggs- when will they return?
Thanks in advance!
Teya

When a hen goes broody and she's not immediately broken, it may run it's course. In other words, it's 3 weeks to hatch eggs and then 2 or 3 months to raise chicks. They'll lay after that. Autumn/winter doesn't give enough day length to really stimulate onset of lay.

Broodiness is controlled by hormones. Even though you broke up her broody spell it will take awhile for her hormones to go back to unbroody levels.

Back
Top Bottom