Exactly how much grain to feed my goats?

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
Hi..i have 2 goats..a female pygmy(about 8-9 months old)..and a male French Alpine(about 5 months old)..they are both on "free" hay feeding...and also Dumor Goat Formula Feed..(not the sweet kind)..its an all purpose, for all life stages...my male still gets a 1 cup bottle 1x a day...(comfort feeding at night..he's my baby..
tongue.png
..)...but he really is weaned fully...and when this bag of milk replacer is finished..i wont buy another...
sad.png
....so my question is...i have heard all differant suggestions on this...some say.."dont feed grain"...so i am confused...please any info..thanks, Wendy
10638_2008_02020041.jpg

10638_2008_05110047.jpg

10638_2008_07150062.jpg

No grain, it can cause bloat. I feed grass hay, as much as they want and purina show goat ration, 1/2 c. 2xs a day per goat.

i wonder if this Dumore stuff is actually a grain...it says..its complete feed for goats...so..is that a grain..or feed?..sorry.. i'm an idiot here...
roll.png
...Wendy

A complete feed is fine. Don't feed any whole grains as a treat. If you feel you need to give them a treat, give them something dried...they LOVE corn stalks or dried bean plants....

really?..corn stalks..i have alot of those..and by bean plants do you mean.."bush" green bean plants?...thanks for the help.., Wendy

i know they loved my broccoli plants...but i wasnt sure if they were safe for them or not..so..i didnt let them continue to maul my garden that day...lol....so..can they have broccoli plants as well?...the leaves?...thanks again..

That is so cute that he still takes a bottle. I have a bottle baby here who is all grown up (LG) and she'll still take one, too, if offered.

I have never had a full sized goat, but I can tell you my general rule of thumb for miniatures. My adults get no less than 2 cups of feed a day divided into two meals. Pregnant does often need a little more. The heaviest of my goats is 75 lbs. They also get hay, of course. The sweet feed debate is a big one. I see you're feeding pellets, so there's no need to get into it.

My goats eat everything out of the garden except tomato and potato plants (toxic - nightshade family). Broccoli and other cold crops are safe and much loved by them.

thank you very much!..my veggies are almost gone by now..i think i'll let them go at it...lol...also..can i dry out the plants to give them during the winter months?..thanks so much..Wendy..
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom