Excavation by Birds - A Word of Warning

If the hardware mesh rusts/disintegrates, then why put it in an apron or dig it down around outside of run? Eek, really don't want to go through replacing that!!
I wouldn't use a fine mesh/wire for an apron either because of cost and degradation,
14ga 2x4 is sufficient for anti dig apron IMO.
Plus the birds aren't generally digging/scratching the outside of run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius

If the hardware mesh rusts/disintegrates, then why put it in an apron or dig it down around outside of run? Eek, really don't want to go through replacing that!!

I wouldn't use a fine mesh/wire for an apron either because of cost and degradation,

(@mobius - Please correct me if I'm wrong) I think Mobius may have been referring to the anti-predator portion of the apron going around the outside of the run? Not the part the chickens themselves will be digging or scratching at. I was wondering the same actually - if I may have to rethink using hardware cloth for the outside predator apron. I wonder if I should use a larger gauge, heavier wire for that part myself. Hmmm...

Last edited:
Quote:

(@mobius - Please correct me if I'm wrong) I think Mobius may have been referring to the anti-predator portion of the apron going around the outside of the run? Not the part the chickens themselves will be digging or scratching at. I was wondering the same actually - if I may have to rethink using hardware cloth for the outside predator apron. I wonder if I should use a larger gauge, heavier wire for that part myself. Hmmm...
Yes, I understood that.

Yes, I understood that.

Oh okee - sorry
smack.gif
I just misunderstood then. But I think your point about the rust and disintegration is a good one aart. I have small children that run around and play in the dirt with barefoot and little fingers and the stuff on the outside of the run might be just as dangerous for them. I hadn't thought about it before.

@ChickityChina you are quite correct, that is my question...bit off topic I must admit, but my mind wanders...to the outside of the coop!
hide.gif

Chickens can DIG!!!
There are many places where I've had to stick pavers or bricks around where they dig so they don't undermine concrete blocks or dig right out from under the run walls. There's a concrete block sitting tall, that held up one end of a roost that was darn near about to fall, I fixed it before the pics so it's not included here.

It's pretty crazy, so thought I'd share some pics of what parts of my run look like where I need to add some more deterrents.
If you have any structural blocks, posts, etc...protect them from The Chicken Excavators!!!

Here I added a couple pieces of concrete, they just dug out between them...this hole is about 4" deep.

This is just in the middle of the run about 6" deep, I'll leave it as is, the line of pavers covers a drain pipe...so they won't dig it up.

Old gate and grazing frame leaning up against run wall.
They have dug down all around them to they are just held up but some dirt.

Aart..... The most important picture you forgot to post is when your chickens are on their CHICKEN I PAD. reading your posts.......
caf.gif
(chickens are smarter than we would like to give them credit) They know what is coming to them when they slack off laying, They also know what happens to their roster friends as soon as they reach table weight, or is it broiler weight.???
hit.gif
I know it is Soup weight going on thru the minds of your middle aged layers.. These are Houdini chickens in desperation. PRISON BREAK MAXIMUM.
My chickens NEVER try to break out.
hugs.gif
They gently scratch, and do occasionally dig a small dust bath tub. Most are on pensions and social security..
gig.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom