Excessive growth?

Bobthechicken123

In the Brooder
Dec 31, 2021
I'm not new to raising chicks, I recently purchased 10 chicks to add to my flock, 5 white leghorns, 5 black Australorps, it is going very well and they are all very healthy, they are only three days old, I have one Australorps chick who is MUCH larger than her sisters, in this photo she doesn't look that much larger but in person you REALLY notice the difference, they are all 3 days old, just curious is this normal, thanks.
IMG_20220826_171746.jpg

they are only three days old, I have one Australorps chick who is MUCH larger than her sisters, in this photo she doesn't look that much larger but in person you REALLY notice the difference, they are all 3 days old, just curious is this normal
Yes, it can happen. Sometimes the big one continues to be biggest, but other times their growth slows down and they mature about the same size as the other ones.

Or it could mean that chick is a different breed. Chicks sometimes get mixed up in the store.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, but it could be interesting to watch and see how they progress.

I've also seen cases when a chick had longer or shorter down than other chicks, so they looked bigger or smaller even though they had bodies of the same size.

One of my chicks started off way bigger than the others, then leveled off with them, then another one took off on a growth spurt, and now all are the same size (almost 12 wks in).

I agree it will be interesting to follow this.

if she is a different breed will I need to care for her differently?
No need for different care. Chickens of almost all breeds do fine with the same care.

Exceptions: Cornish Cross meat birds need different care, but they are white so I know you don't have any. Any other special care is based on details like feathers falling over the eyes (some crested breeds cannot see well) or feathers that do not let the chicken fly up to a roost (Silkies and Frizzles.) Those things would be obvious as the chickens grow, but I'm pretty sure you don't have any breeds that would have traits like those.

No need for different care. Chickens of almost all breeds do fine with the same care.

Exceptions: Cornish Cross meat birds need different care, but they are white so I know you don't have any. Any other special care is based on details like feathers falling over the eyes (some crested breeds cannot see well) or feathers that do not let the chicken fly up to a roost (Silkies and Frizzles.) Those things would be obvious as the chickens grow, but I'm pretty sure you don't have any breeds that would have traits like those.
Ok thank you, I think I just worry too much

Back
Top Bottom