Exchequer Leghorns

Thank you, my wife came over to me today as the birds were roaming around the yard and said the same! I must admit I find them very pleasing to look at myself. Then again I find all Leghorns have that active/ alert nature that appeals to me, the Exchequers are just a little bit more flashy if you now what I mean ;-)
Cheers

Any other new fans of Exchequers out there? I added these to my flock this summer and based on my limited sample, think they are a really under-appreciated (albeit rare) breed for backyarders.

I have two pullets, now 12 weeks old. They are friendly, active and beautiful. One was a pet from from day one. I have never had Leghorns and was a bit concerned about the reputed "flighty" reputation, but it seems not to apply. They can be fast and reactive, but are also sensible, easy to catch and handle. And sooo pretty!

They were June chicks. Any idea when I might expect eggs? Will they start laying in winter or wait til spring? How are they in general in terms of winter laying? Anybody had these for several years, with information in regards to laying longevity? Thanks for any tips.

Hi

It sounds like you are doing better than me as regards temperament. I have a mixed free range flock and the exchequer leghorns (the only leghorns I have) are pretty much the flightiest and most aggressive of the flock. Difficult to catch and handle and very sneaky about where they lay eggs. They are also poor layers.... or maybe I just don't always find their eggs! Having said that, they are pretty to look at and I've just had one hatch 6 chicks from a clutch of her own that she had stashed and I didn't find until she had been setting 2 days. She's doing a good job as a mother so far, so I can't fault her on that and the chicks are cute as buttons of course!

Unfortunately mine took quite a while to come into lay because they had been kept in a kennel/run with hounds in the next kennel to them, so they were a bit traumatised when I got them and took quite a while to settle in with me. They were vicious towards my other hens though and even though they were introduced through a cage for a week, they drew blood establishing the pecking order. It was pretty scary to watch and I bottled a couple of times and broke them up, which of course just meant it happened again as soon as they got the opportunity.

Good luck with yours. It sounds like you are off to a good start with them.

Barbara

i really dont know if exchequer leghorns are as good as white leghorn but my white leghorn is 8 years old ,next march she is gonna be 9 ,and she is still laying

Rebrascora, sorry to hear about your hens. Sounds like they did not get the best start in life. I guess it's hard to generalize about any breed, as specific lines and individuals can vary so much. My exchequers have been a real surprise. They are gentle with their cohorts and also I have integrated them in with an older flock and they do fine. I ran the two flocks side-by-side across a wire fence for three weeks, which helped. I hope the your momma hen continues to serve you well as a broody.

Maral, thanks for posting and great to hear about your older leghorn. She looks great! My oldest hens just finished their 5th laying season and I think they have done well.

Last edited:
Here's my Exchequer Hen Barbie at 12 weeks. She's my thinnest of the mixed flock of 9, thus her name. She's so friendly and likes to be pet. I love her poka dot legs. So cute! She like high places and people. She also was smart enough to fly off to avoid a dog attack (trashy neighbor's dog
ep.gif
), and come back when I was out there picking up the pieces. I hope she stays this fun!

This is my kitchen window view. I'm a proud Chicken MOM!
love.gif

Is this a hen or a roo? Pic was taken at 21-22 weeks. 23-24 weeks old now. No crowing, but he/she would "spar" with another pullet that def turned out to be a roo (that one has since been rehomed). Not showing any agression or "pushiness" to other female pullets.

Back
Top Bottom