Help! I'm confused. Inactive breeds accepted by the aba and apa? What does a Java bantam look like? (is it the same as a rosecomb bantam??)

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
I've got some new people in my school district getting into fancy chickens, and i'm trying to make a slideshow of the APA and ABA accepted breeds and their pictures for educational purposes.
I'm going off of a list of APA and ABA accepted breeds and in RCCL class there's... Jersery Giants?? In the APA breeds and varieties catalog it lists the varieties black and white for bantam jersey giants. I can't find any pictures. I saw a thread on this website where someone said they are an inactive breed.
Also, I can only find one picture of a Java Bantam on google where the author specifically says it's a java bantam... and it looks specifically like a rosecomb bantam.

Is there a list of inactive breeds? I don't want these people that i'm sending my slideshow to see this breed and think they can show it when it's actually inactive. Any clarity or help is appreciated! I'm pretty confused.

If I understand my ABA standard correctly, breeds that are inactive are just the ones that there are not enough people working with and none being entered into shows, so they can't justify adding them to the print copy of the standard due to costs of adding more pages to the book. Those breeds can still be shown, however. @Amer does a lot of showing and might know a bit more about this.

Jersey Giant bantams are in the SCCL class, not RCCL. And Java bantams are also SCCL so should not have a rose comb like the Rosecomb bantams do. I believe I see the picture you're talking about in searching and those are Rosecomb bantams, not Java bantams. Java bantams should look more or less like a smaller version of large fowl Javas. Unfortunately, they seem to be so rare at this point that I'm also not finding much of anything about them, either. :hmm

As far as a list of inactive breeds, I know that the American Bantam Association lists their inactive breeds on their site here: https://www.bantamclub.com/recognized-breed-and-variety If you go to the bottom of the box that the breeds are listed in, there are tabs for active and inactive breeds. I don't know if the APA has a list of their inactive breeds, but I'm not finding one.

That's definitely easy to do with the SCCL, RCCL, and AOCCL classes! 😅 Glad I could help. 🙂
Would those stand for "Single Comb Clean Leg" and "Rose Comb Clean Leg" and "Any Other Comb Clean Leg"?

(Or am I way off and they have nothing to do with combs and legs?)

There is a helpful article on the National Jersey Giant Club's website explaining why there aren't bantam Jersey Giants despite the breed being recognized. Essentially, a bantam wouldn't be a "Giant" so there isn't really a point.

Back
Top Bottom