HOLD THE PRESSES: Duane Urch is Done?!/Future of American Purebred Poultry

Pics
I absolutely agree that a source like this can be an excellent stockpile of genetic material. We also need to remember that Duane ran a HATCHERY, and while he may have selected a bit more carefully towards the standard, his breeding flocks would have been very similar to what we see in the Cackle flock videos. He wasn't exactly doing pairs and trios and toe punching, etc.

I've always appreciated Cackle's birds in every breed I've got and I'm thankful they're there and maintaining flocks of a number of rare breeds for those of us that want to try our hand at them.
Duane Urch was very close to pairs and trios in many breeds toward the end. Remember how many breeds and varieties he (70-80 years old) and his son in law (50s -60s) were caring for and selling. Not just large fowl, but geese, turkeys, bantams. This was not a large commercial hatchery.

Maybe this is crazy talk and far fetched but is it? There's people keeping chickens in their houses. Dressing them up in clothes and putting diapers on them. People out walking chickens on leashes.
I'll end my rant there but the tides are turning.
There was a video on YouTube about a guy sailing across the ocean with his pet chicken aboard. I commented that hopefully he won't get stranded on some deserted island for a long time otherwise his chicken friend would serve as sustenance.
Needless to say the snowflakes jumped on board and tried to crucify me digitally it was hilarious. But yes sometimes you have to step back and ground yourself and understand what chickens are and what they're for.

Back
Top Bottom