Exchequer Leghorns

Quote:
Well since I'm very new at chickens (the group I have now are my first ones) I want to start small with just fairs and small events, but who knows...if it goes well I'd like to pursue it further.

At our county fair, people will enter rare (ish) varieties of breeds like Exchequer leghorns and Black Mottled d Uccles, etc. The judges dont think it's bad, and those are the ones that usually win(county fair). And exchequers are a breed, so even in big shows, you will be fine!

Quote:
Yeah, I thought so. We have that edition here at school and both me and a friend scoured it to find them, but we couldn't either. Really? That's pretty weird they don't have them listed.

The Dutch standard? Do you think it would be any different from the standard in the US? I remember reading something about the regulation for the Exchequer pattern, but I can't remember where I saw it.
hmm.png
It would certainly be nice to have something to work off of.

Quote:
Oh thank you! You have a very nice looking group!
smile.png
And they're about 2 months, correct?

Nine weeks today, so in those photos, yes 2 months.

Quote:
exchequers ARE not a breed, they are a variety. Leghorn is the breed. And as far as I can tell they have not been accepted as a variety here in the US....THis could be wrong but until I actually see some shown in a class other than aov or exhibition, I will assume they have not been accepted

()relics :

exchequers ARE not a breed, they are a variety. Leghorn is the breed. And as far as I can tell they have not been accepted as a variety here in the US....THis could be wrong but until I actually see some shown in a class other than aov or exhibition, I will assume they have not been accepted

Yeah, there's been some debate about whether or not they're accepted or not. I don't see why they wouldn't, they have some established lines as far as I can tell and they aren't really new. It's a puzzling issue.
hmm.png

Quote:
I'm so jealous! I can't wait to get my ELs!! Lol​

46537_gowers_feed_store_sale_7-10-10_chicks_update_002.jpg

46537_gowers_feed_store_sale_7-10-10_chicks_update_001.jpg

They are 5 months old pair

2 new pullets 2 months old
46537_gowers_feed_store_sale_7-10-10_chicks_update_018.jpg

Need better pic on this one. sorry but shows legs
46537_gowers_feed_store_sale_7-10-10_chicks_update_023.jpg

Some do have the blk spots some don't (not yet to be safe)

I'll have to hunt down a black and see what happens then. Glad I found this post~ with a friend's help.

Last edited:
I'll have to hunt down a black and see what happens then. Glad I found this post~ with a friend's help.

Let me know if you find blacks! I have been looking albeit not that hard...

MK​

Back
Top Bottom