Exhaust fan for ventilation

NHCrazy4Chicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
Southern NH
Hello! We are considering installing an exhaust fan at the top of the coop to increase ventilation. My husband is a computer guy and has tons of those computer case fans. He was thinking of putting two in the coop instead of buying an official exhaust fan. Anyone ever do this? Any thoughts? The coop will be 6'W x 8'L x 6'H.

One other thing, if we have gable and soffit vents at roof level, do we need ventilation at the bottom of the coop? I'm worried about drafts if we put something at the bottom, especially in cold weather.
hu.gif

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/advice!
big_smile.png

A fan is not necessary, and will give you grief when it gets full of chicken dust. The air you will need to vent out is warm and humid, so it will rise and leave of its own if your vents are high. No, you don't need another vent low down. The air exchanges at the high vents, both in and out. Which is nice, because in a coop of that size it will be quite easy to design good ventilation and no drafts at the same time.

Have you seen this? https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

I think the fan will get loaded down with dust, etc. really fast and burn the motor out and give you more headaches than it will help unless you have one that is specifically made for a barn situation.

Quote:
What they said. Don't bother. (Don't bother with an "official exhaust fan" either, except in a few very special circumstances that probably do not apply to you).

They won't do much, they won't do it well, they won't do it for *long*, and they are less safe and no more effective than simply having intelligently-designed passive ventilation.

One other thing, if we have gable and soffit vents at roof level, do we need ventilation at the bottom of the coop?

Nope! You certainly don't want low vents open in cold weather in NH, as you say because of the draft problem -- sufficient sized vents up high will allow air to go both in and out at the same time. For some reason people never believe me about this
tongue.png
but they do work that way... heck, just open your bedroom window 6" on a cold day and you will see that warm air *does* go out at the same time as cold air *does* go in
tongue.png

Some people will suggest low vents for hot summertime weather but in my view it is way more effective to just have LARGE openings in the sides of the coop -- how large and how many depending on a person's climate and coop site -- that you can close or bolt panels over for wintertime. You get a lot more bang for your buck so to speak that way.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom