Expanded my chicken run - new coop is next

I am interested in learning how you attached the coop to the run. I have a dog kennel I'm using as a run that looks exactly like yours, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to connect it securely to the coop wall so it's secure against predators.

Last edited:
This looks really great! I envy your automatic door so much!! One day I will save up for it! I'm curious about your nesting boxes. About how high is the top of the lip from the ground? Is the bottom of the boxes angled? I couldn't tell from the photo. Thanks for referring me to your thread!

To CentralCaliGirl - The kennel is from AKC. I screwed the kennel to the coop with blocks of wood at the bottom of the kennel.

I'll take a photo tomorrow and upload it.

To ChxLadyCass - The auto door is from Poultry Butler and runs about $200. The timer can be set for multiple open/close settings as desired. I just have it set to open about a half hour before and after sunrise and sunset. It was worth the investment. It uses a gear drive instead of a string which I consider more reliable.

Funny story the first day: The hens weren't sure about the coop yet and didn't go in before the door closed. When we got home that evening they were huddled together in a corner of the run. I had to manually trip the door to open and my wife had to catch all the hens and force them through to door opening. Then I tripped the door to close again.

Tonight they had it all figured out.

The nesting boxes are about 1 foot square. The lip is 8" from the floor of the coop but the bottom of the box is 4" below the lip to prevent and nesting material from getting kicked out. The bottom is flat. I placed a wooden egg in each box. The hens took to them immediately and I got five eggs the first day. The lid outside has a 15 degree angle to shed rain or snow.

There is a gap at the bottom that I am considering adding a block of wood to. The previous owner cut the opening in the kennel.

View of the nesting boxes from inside the coop.

I finally got the sheet metal on the roof.

Not to happy with the girls. They appear to be sitting on the edge of the poop tray instead of the roosting bar. That means I have to pick up the poop off the floor of the coop instead of sifting it out of the SweetPDZ.

Here is the fix I HOPE! I cut a 2x4 into a triangle and attached it to the front edge of the poop tray. I'm hoping that will be uncomfortable and will encourage them to hop up to the roosting bar.

Mine do that too, most face the 'right way' tho.
Might try lowering that roost a bit.
Do all the birds fit on the length of roost(~1 foot per bird)?

Last edited:

Well that didn't work.

Two are sitting on the edge still and one was in the nesting box.

I ended up grabbing all three 'criminals' and placing them on the roosting bar.

Well that didn't work.

Two are sitting on the edge still and one was in the nesting box.

I ended up grabbing all three 'criminals' and placing them on the roosting bar.
Moving them every night for a week or so might 'train' them.
Maybe try something very thin edged along there.....3/16" luan underlayment comes to mind......at least 2-3" high.

Back
Top Bottom