Expanded my chicken run - new coop is next

I think I'm just going to screw a 2x4 to the back of the door on that side. It will straight out the warp and give extra strength to the door handle screws which protrude through the door right now.

Got the back wall and roof on today between rain showers.

I think I'm just going to screw a 2x4 to the back of the door on that side. It will straight out the warp and give extra strength to the door handle screws which protrude through the door right now.
That'll help...time will tell.
Might be good to put some kind of trim and flashing over door,
to keep water off edge of door and from coming inside of coop.

Installed the 2x4 behind the door edge. That pretty much took care of the warping problem.

The first 4' on both sides are done. Must need to finish the last 2' feet now.

After that the nesting boxes on the left side.

Finished the last two panels just as the snow started to fall.

Here is the inside. The poop tray is in the back with a removable roost board above that. I have Sweet PDZ to put in the tray.

My only question is since I put the poop tray 20" off the floor, do I need a ramp for the hens to get up to the roost?

The nesting boxes will be built out from the left wall accessible from the outside.

Cold (20's) snow and rain for the next two days so no more progress till Thursday.

The snow passed quickly but it was cold so I progressed.

The Poultry Butler is just sitting place. I won't mount it until I paint and Black Jack 57 the interior.

Got the inside and outside painted.

I bought the Poultry Butler because I preferred a screw drive over the string used by others.

The floor is done in Black Jack 57 and I built a ramp to access the roost easier. I see I missed a few spots spray painting. Oh well.

Got the tarpaper on the roof. Now to install the corrugated sheet metal.

Sweet!
Getting Close!

That ramp is way too steep..... they might climb up it, but probably won't use it to come down.
I'd build a brace to position the low end of ramp up above the pop door opening,
then build a flat landing area between end of ramp and the wall beyond pop door.

Finished the electrical and decided to move the coop into position today.

Here's the inside with Sweet PDZ in the poop tray under the roost and shavings on the floor and in the nesting boxes.

Electrical is provided from an extension cord fed thru a GFCI outdoor box that also feeds the waterer in the run.

To Flock Master - Thanks for the input on the ramp. I wondered about the ramp being to steep. There is only another two feet to the wall from the end of the ramp. The coop is only 4x6. Not to many options. Any input is appreciated. All I know I gleaned from this forum as I just inherited these chickens in December 2016.

Finished the electrical and decided to move the coop into position today.

Here's the inside with Sweet PDZ in the poop tray under the roost and shavings on the floor and in the nesting boxes.

Electrical is provided from an extension cord fed thru a GFCI outdoor box that also feeds the waterer in the run.

To Flock Master - Thanks for the input on the ramp. I wondered about the ramp being to steep. There is only another two feet to the wall from the end of the ramp. The coop is only 4x6. Not to many options. Any input is appreciated. All I know I gleaned from this forum as I just inherited these chickens in December 2016.
I imagine that extension connection will be contained out of the weather?

I realize space is tight, that's why they need a ramp, gotta be creative.
Even if there's not room for flat landing(tho you could shorten the ramp),
reducing the angle and adding more cleats(1 or 2 more between the ones already there) will help.
They'll go down so far, then jump. I have my ramps low ends on concrete blocks in runs and a ~16" platform in coop.

Looks awesome! I second the electrical connection should be out of the weather... good way to blow a breaker or outlet. I use these

Back
Top Bottom