Expanding run in existing coop

mrskenmore

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Long Island, NY
So my hubby and I are starting to think of spring projects (I know.. I know... with 12" of snow on the ground and another 8" on the way tomorrow) We have decided that we want to block off the back corner of our property for the girls this summer in which their existing coop already sits in. We want to expand the covered protected run and then also have an enclosed area off of that for free ranging when we are home. Attached is the current photo of the coop- any ideas or suggestions of existing enlarged runs or blocked off areas for the girls would greatly be appreciated!!

we are thinking of going straight back to the property line (about 12') off of the coop for the expanded run. I want it fully enclosed so that when we are at work they can have more space and be completely safe from predators. Then off to the left is the back corner of our property that I want to do a 4' fence so that when we are gardening, relaxing out back or entertaining the girls can be safe too with out being watched or taking the mulch out of my garden beds through the entire back yard.

Please send pics of any inspiration- I want this area to almost look like a little house with their own garden.. there are two big boxwoods that they can go under in the summer for shade and some nice mature oaks above.

Thanks!!

Everything is so pristine It is hard to start giving suggestions. I do have to agree with your thinking that you do want to keep chickens out of your garden beds. They will scratch everything to shreds. Offer them their free range where they have the tree cover. Fence it in best you can. Flying raptors like hawks need to drop down on their prey. They don't land and chase on the ground. Any more suggestions I would have to be standing with you in your yard... Very impressive coop.
thumbsup.gif

Member Sunflour has a coop and run similar to yours and mine and she shared photos of her expanded run here. It may work for you as well...

Here is a before and after, they did a terrific job! I'm hoping to expand my run this summer as well.

Before

After

Last edited:
Ok, i'm done expanding mine, here are a couple of photos, did you expand yours?
I have not yet stained the new part of the run as the treated wood needs to dry out more, so you can see the original henhouse and run (similar to yours) then my new expanded run.

Oh My that is beautiful! Great Job!
clap.gif

We extended out 60 sq ft off of the run area heading back 10' and 6' wide. We call it the playground and the girls seem to love it! We even found an adirondack rocking chair that our neighbor was getting rid of curb side!

Back
Top Bottom