Expected Losses?

Schrebergaertner

Songster
11 Years
Dec 13, 2010
We lost our Dominique yesterday. Unexplained illness. Out of the blue she was listless and hiding yesterday and wouldn't eat or drink. We put her by herself and she died around 9 pm. She was 2 years and 2 months old, very sweet, and a great layer. We've had chickens now for 3 years. The first 2.5 years I guess we had better luck than normal, since in the last 6 months we've lost 3--one to vent gleet, and two unexplained. No predators possible in our coop.

So my question is, how many should we expect to lose, on average, due to various either mystery or identified illnesses? We currently have 26 with plenty of space. We expected to have to replenish from time to time as they aged and laid fewer eggs, but wonder how many we're just going to lose. I've heard hens can live up to 10 years, but what's a more realistic average?

Thanks to any long timers who can offer their thoughts.

I think your experience sounds very common. Many of us went through a long period not losing birds, then when they get to a certain age things such as kidney disease, internal laying issues, fatty liver syndrome, and other diseases can take them suddenly. I have have 3 die suddenly for no apparent reason over a period of 5 months. To understand why is to start doing necropsies on the birds you lose, and looking at other's necropsy photos to learn what to look for. Many diseases will cause certain organs to become enlarged or discolored. Gout and kidney disease for example, and cause white deposits (urates) all over the internal organs. The birds I lost were always kind of low in pecking order, thinner than the rest, and not quite as assertive as the rest, but never seemed to have any disease symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom