Experience with Barbezieux and Langshans??

I had a pair of langshans from ideal poultry a few years ago. They were very well tempered, big, beautiful birds. They appeared to have pretty decent type to me as well. Very graceful birds.

I had a pair of langshans from ideal poultry a few years ago. They were very well tempered, big, beautiful birds. They appeared to have pretty decent type to me as well. Very graceful birds.
Were they pretty cold weather durable?? If you remember, about how big were they? They do look pretty unique from pics I have seen.

Were they pretty cold weather durable?? If you remember, about how big were they? They do look pretty unique from pics I have seen.
I can’t remember exactly how good they were in cold weather. They would do just fine I believe I’d just watch the comb on the rooster. And they were some of my bigger chickens. Would definitely make nice dual purpose birds. And the hen payed an impressive egg.

I am growing Barbezieux now; hatched 19 September. They are growing well, the cockerel is just starting to try to crow (he has some way to go; on hearing it my DS thought a sheep had come into the garden!) and is already taller than some of my adult hens. They've only had to endure winter wet so far, but that's not been an issue for them. It's too soon for broodiness of course. So far all seem to have nice natures; one of the pullets is more timid than the rest and they seem quite chilled. I think they're looking quite elegant. I got this photo of the cockerel last week
P1090160.JPG

I can’t remember exactly how good they were in cold weather. They would do just fine I believe I’d just watch the comb on the rooster. And they were some of my bigger chickens. Would definitely make nice dual purpose birds. And the hen payed an impressive egg.
Do you remember which Langshan type they were?? Croad, Modern, Shanghai?

I am growing Barbezieux now; hatched 19 September. They are growing well, the cockerel is just starting to try to crow (he has some way to go; on hearing it my DS thought a sheep had come into the garden!) and is already taller than some of my adult hens. They've only had to endure winter wet so far, but that's not been an issue for them. It's too soon for broodiness of course. So far all seem to have nice natures; one of the pullets is more timid than the rest and they seem quite chilled. I think they're looking quite elegant. I got this photo of the cockerel last week View attachment 1995510
Where did you get your birds? I'd be really curious on their cold weather durability considering their large comb and wattles...

I'm the other side of the Atlantic so I don't think the breeder I used would be of much use to you, but she lives at Hay-on-Wye on the English/Welsh border. It never gets cold here by US standards; -10 degrees C is exceptionally low, and we don't even get snow most winters. Barbezieux are originally from west France, Cognac way, which has an even milder climate, but my breeder also has a German strain, and it gets a bit colder there.

I'm the other side of the Atlantic so I don't think the breeder I used would be of much use to you, but she lives at Hay-on-Wye on the English/Welsh border. It never gets cold here by US standards; -10 degrees C is exceptionally low, and we don't even get snow most winters. Barbezieux are originally from west France, Cognac way, which has an even milder climate, but my breeder also has a German strain, and it gets a bit colder there.
What is the difference between the French and German lines?? Lol I just saw you hail from Wales, but I have found two possible places to get them, except one has a mixed reputation. Aye, we do tend to get subzero here come February!

Back
Top Bottom