Experience with weighted auto-doors?

TxAg11

Chirping
Jan 12, 2016
Houston, TX
Automatic Coop Door.jpg
Does anyone have any experience with building doors that close as all chickens hop on the roost at night? We have had frequent possums as of late and I am not able to close them up and let them out every morning/night. I have a concept that I think SHOULD work (in theory), but was wondering if anyone has tried this pulley method and had any tips to success.
IMPORTANT TO NOTE: I do not like the idea of spending >$100 on one of those electric auto doors or water pump systems. I think those are overly complicated. I think this idea will work if the counter-weight is as much as 1/2 of the chickens in the coop. Anyways, I'm open to ideas and suggestions! I'd just like to make something that's hassle-free, low-maintenance, and cheap. I'm a pretty handy guy and can buid most anything I put my mind to.

Do all your chickens go inside the coop at the same time? Half of mine get on the roost and the other half runs around for a bit before they go inside.

I'm not seeing how your design could work... the ones you see on putube the string it attached to a bar that is opposite the roost with a pivot inbetween.

JT

"Half of mine get on the roost and the other half runs around for a bit before they go inside." Solution: Adjust the counter weight once all chickens are on the roost for the night.
The fulcrum can be adjusted. Not sure what you're trying to convey with your second paragraph.

"Half of mine get on the roost and the other half runs around for a bit before they go inside." Solution: Adjust the counter weight once all chickens are on the roost for the night.
The fulcrum can be adjusted. Not sure what you're trying to convey with your second paragraph.

Nevermind, I understand your setup now the rope from the roost and from the door are both fastened to the weight. For some reason I saw a pulley on the weight in my mind lol.

JT

As the birds get in the roost won’t the door start to lower? If a bird is late they may get locked out. If you find a way to make your idea work that would be great.
I don't think that's the case. The weight won't move until the Chicken weight (Cw) is greated than anvil weight (Aw). The weight difference that one chicken could make would be sufficient to make the door go from fully up to fully down, changing the setup from Cw<Aw to Cw>Aw, which it where you'd get your door closure. Again, at this point it's un-tested. I'm hoping someone who has tried this before will add to the conversation.

As the birds get in the roost won’t the door start to lower? If a bird is late they may get locked out. If you find a way to make your idea work that would be great.

The weight won't start to move until the weight of the chickens is greater than the counter weight. Friction will determine how much weight is needed past the counter weight to make it move.

JT

Regardless what system you use, there is a very real risk of a POSSUM getting shut in the coop with the chickens, b/c they often start their prowl before dark.

I have a electrified pop door, and even that requires monitoring. Occasionally, the door will bind in the track.

If I were facing your situation, I think I'd add electric fencing to my security system.

Regardless what system you use, there is a very real risk of a POSSUM getting shut in the coop with the chickens, b/c they often start their prowl before dark.

I have a electrified pop door, and even that requires monitoring. Occasionally, the door will bind in the track.

If I were facing your situation, I think I'd add electric fencing to my security system.
Doubtful in this situation. Once the chickens are in the coop, the door is closed (which is usually before the sun goes down). Possums generally don't show up until an hour or two after sundown when the do decide to come around. Their presence is pretty seldom, but my dogs usually clue me in as to when we have a visitor near the coop.

Back
Top Bottom