experiences with Ideal and/or Mt Healthy?

zenstarling

Songster
Jan 17, 2022
Connecticut
Hi there -- new to chickens and looking to start a small mixed flock of 8 of the basic backyard birds, and trying to decide where to order from.

I would like only 1-2 of each breed, so this eliminates hatcheries with a minimum requirement like Cackle and Hoover's. McMurray and Meyer do not have availability for my selection until June, which is much later than I would like to start.

My local feed store is ordering this year from Mt Healthy. Their shipment schedule just came out, the numbers are limited and the breeds I'd like are staggered over several weeks, skewing more March than April (March is early, it's usually still frozen here, and we still need to do the coop build!). So I've decided I would rather order myself and have all same-aged chicks arrive together, at a later spring date that better fits our planning.

Ideal also allows one or two birds of each breed, so that would work for me, and as of now they have ship availability that would work for me in late April.

I am in Connecticut. I understand Mt Healthy is in Ohio, so that would obviously be a shorter distance than from Ideal in Texas. I feel like Ideal is more popular, since I've read about them on this forum much more, and only heard of Mt Healthy yesterday. I did see the old news about the salmonella issues back in 2014, and wondered if that had ever recurred since.

What would you recommend? Thanks so much!

Both my neighbors swear by Mt Healthy. They are slightly pricier than Ideal. I would’ve ordered from either but neither had the breeds I wanted available in June so I went w McMurray this year. Heard good things about all of them. 😊

Thank you!
I try to get from ones closer to me. Have ordered mostly from ideal but it is a long way to CT. I have ordered from strombergs once, thinking closer to you…and was happy with their birds. See what they offer. Also our feed stores will let us place a special order so u might try asking around…good luck

If you order from ideal make sure you dont have add packing peanuts otherwise you will get extra male chicks for warmth
I've ordered from Ideal several times.

The packing peanuts don't bother me-- either I raise them for meat, or I get out my hatchet the day they arrive and dispatch them right away. (Yes, I can be rather hard-hearted when I feel the need.) For me, Ideal has always sent "packing peanuts" that were visually different than the chicks I ordered, so it was easy to tell which ones they were.

But I agree the extra male chicks could be a big problem for some people!

Back
Top Bottom