experiences with Ideal and/or Mt Healthy?

I've ordered from Ideal several times.

The packing peanuts don't bother me-- either I raise them for meat, or I get out my hatchet the day they arrive and dispatch them right away. (Yes, I can be rather hard-hearted when I feel the need.) For me, Ideal has always sent "packing peanuts" that were visually different than the chicks I ordered, so it was easy to tell which ones they were.

But I agree the extra male chicks could be a big problem for some people!
For me I raise them to 8-12 weeks then eat them lol

Awesome! How are the temperaments of Dominique’s & Delawares? I love my Barred Rocks, they are my fave. ❤️ Have 2 Welsummers coming this summer for some egg color variety.
My barred rock is the sweetest of all mine! Her name is Sweet Pea! The others have no name except the rooster. My Dominiques will chase me if I've got something to eat for them but they only tolerate me if I have to catch one. They do a lot of screaming when I do Lol .My Delawares rooster is a big baby so I ordered 4 chicks just like him. I think the Delawares are calmer than Dominiques. (My roosters name is Hector and he knew his name already when I got him) I don't have a clue what Welsummers are like but I've heard they're noisy . Of all my chickens I would miss Sweet Pea the most if something happened to her. She's a little love bug! Sometimes i pick her up and carry her around in the yard.

i would eventually like to add Delawares, you’re the second person who had good things to say about them!

I’ve heard Welsummers are chatty, also. I’m ok with chatty! Much better than agressive!

Please post pics when you get your new babies! I have to wait til June for mine…

Does Ideal always send extra chicks, even during warm weather?
I think it depends on how many chicks you order, as well as the weather.

I've ordered as few as 7 chicks, and I think I have received one box with just 7 and no extras (but other times they have added some extra chicks.)

The box is about the same size that other hatcheries use for 15 chicks.

Back
Top Bottom