Experiment-Dark Cornish/Barred Rock crosses

redneck

Songster
14 Years
May 25, 2007
Lynchburg,Tn.
I ordered a Dark Cornish rooster and 6 Barred Rock pullets. Be here June 2nd. I know the growth rate will be far slower the the Cornish X's. I am just wondering if anyone has experimented with this cross before?
Also, what other crosses has anyone experimented with? What kind of luck did you have with the crosses. Any input would be appreciated.

Are you raising the Cornish X for meat or try to keep them for layers?

When I have my meat and layers together it is only for about 2 weeks then they get seperate pens and runs. The Cornish X get stinky and eat more and require more cleaning out than layers.

Quote:
Yup! I have done Dark Cornish X:

Barred Rock
Speckled Sussex
Black Sex Link
Freedom Ranger

If I had the birds, I'd also do Dorking.

I find them good eating birds, better than eating purebred cockrels. They grow much faster then purebreds as well. They don't get as meaty as an industrial Cornish Cross would, but their growth rate keeps up very well side-by-side with my Freedom Rangers.

I've done it, accidentally. Barred rock hen went off and brooded a batch of eggs, ended up with 6 pullets and 5 cockerels. The boys are big and thick, should have some good meat to them. They're about 6 months old now. I probably could have processed them at 4 or 5 months but I wanted to see how they grew out. I sold the girls as layers. They were laying an interesting assortment of tinted to brown eggs. They'll be sex-links, so the girls are solid black, boys are barred (will have yellow head spots as chicks). They are all cushion/pea combed.

I have some pictures, I'll have to dig them up.

Back
Top Bottom