experiment with bedding

How often would you replace the whole batch and start over? (Newbie here)

With deep litter, if you do it right you should never need or want to replace all of it and start over. This article explains why, as well as a lot of other things about DLM: http://www.plamondon.com/faq_deep_litter.html. You just take a some out for the garden from time to time, add a little in as needed. I'm going on a year (I think, don't really remember) this way and I live in a warm humid climate year round. Couldn't be easier or simpler--I love it!

With deep litter, if you do it right you should never need or want to replace all of it and start over. This article explains why, as well as a lot of other things about DLM: http://www.plamondon.com/faq_deep_litter.html. You just take a some out for the garden from time to time, add a little in as needed. I'm going on a year (I think, don't really remember) this way and I live in a warm humid climate year round. Couldn't be easier or simpler--I love it!

I've always wondered if the DLM adds heat? Since your climate might be similar to mine, do you think it adds heat? Some in the north say it keeps the chicks warm in the coop. Does that depend on the substrate? How hot and humid does it get where you are so that I can compare.

OP, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for shavings up there? I'm asking because in your original post you said this costs about the same as shavings but then when price tags of $13 were mentioned, I about fell over. I only pay $5 for a bag of shavings here, and 2 bags gives me about 3" of bedding in a 10x10 coop, so unless the $13 buys a whole bunch more, it would be much more expensive for me. Not saying I wouldn't do it because I suspect it would decompose better than shavings, but now I'm curious....

OP, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay for shavings up there? I'm asking because in your original post you said this costs about the same as shavings but then when price tags of $13 were mentioned, I about fell over. I only pay $5 for a bag of shavings here, and 2 bags gives me about 3" of bedding in a 10x10 coop, so unless the $13 buys a whole bunch more, it would be much more expensive for me. Not saying I wouldn't do it because I suspect it would decompose better than shavings, but now I'm curious....
Here , they are about 6 bucks a bag. Yes, that is cheap. They also get wet and stink right away. I have to change them very frequently to keep the smell away. I tried them in my brooder and noticed a smell after one day. I have also noticed a huge amount of dust with it.
What I am trying to point out is that this straw lasts much longer than the shavings. That is how I can say the price is comparable. This straw, in a 4 x 5 coop ( one bag ), will last about 6 or 8 weeks without changing, and little or no dust as well, with practically no smell. Some would go longer than I, but I cannot stand the look of poopy litter, even if it is not stinky. It will outlast a whole bag of shavings and then some. This is just my opinion. One would have to try it for themselves to see if this is a better option for them. This is why I am calling it an experiment. I have loved my results so far, and enjoy the fact that there is no smell and there is little effort in keeping my coop looking and smelling nice. I hope you understand that I am not trying to endorse some big company or anything like that. I am just trying to make life easier for those who cannot clean their coops so often or have asthma or other allergies. I think it is a great alternative for those who cannot tolerate the dust.
I hope you are liking the idea of trying something new and different. I am.

The dust isn't as big a concern as the mold and moisture. We have 80% humidity at times. (68% by 7 am this morning
roll.png
) Keeping everything dry is important in my climate. I'm hoping that fluffing it up will allow the droppings to fall onto the DE and it will help dry it out and a bonus if it keeps the bug population down. Glad to hear that it stays dry. I had come in to ask. I'd guess I only have an inch or so. Might add more. I have linoleum on the floor. It isn't secured to the walls though. It's about 4" high above the floor around the edges. When I need to completely empty the bedding I'll just fold the linoleum and pull it out.

Tonight is their first night in the coop
ep.gif
. There will be 12 in there so it will be a good test. I do hope it stays dry. I will let you know how it handles our humidity. I've had pine shavings in a box out there and within an hour it has gotten limp from the humidity. If I forget to bring the mail inside you could feel the moisture in the paper. Keeping my fingers crossed for dry.
I think if you want it to stay dry, that you should have more inches on the floor. I'm not sure an inch is enough to absorb all the moisture. Let me know what happens. I'm curious.
Thanks!

I think if you want it to stay dry, that you should have more inches on the floor. I'm not sure an inch is enough to absorb all the moisture. Let me know what happens. I'm curious.
Thanks!

I ended up adding more since I read your post and using 2/3 of the bale since 1/3 of my coop is designated for food and water. That 1/3 has different flooring. My coop is 4 x 8.

Another words, I ended up with around 2 to 3 inch layer.

I too used pine shavings in the brooder DLM and it was not necessarily stinky, but gross. Yes, I freshen it up by stirring it and adding to it. I also removed wet spots. (My food and water were on trays to keep that separate from the substrate). I had possibly 2 in deep for tiny chicks. Not happy. Didn't work for me. I couldn't wait to get them on the grass.

This alternative smells nice...so far. It's also soft. We'll see what others think. Time will definitely tell. If I don't have to change it often, it will be worth it for me. The key for me is can it stay dry.

Fun experiment. Not the end of the world here. If it doesn't work, throw it out and try something new. I have several acres of free pine straw in my backyard. But it's prickly and it gets damp and moldy and it doesn't necessarily smell nice.

Can't wait for other updates coolcanoechic. Keep them coming.

Ok, eight days and still no dust. It's been getting to 90 degrees in the coop every day, even with the fans, and it still smells nice when I open the door. I hate the smell of baked chicken poop.

Deek, what are your thoughts so far? It must be really hot and humid down there right now.

Deek, what are your thoughts so far? It must be really hot and humid down there right now.

It's been a cool 92 degrees with 78% humidity
roll.png
I believe it's going to storm in a bit. Smells like it anyway. I've not had the bedding as long, but I have had 12 poopers. I can't believe how nice it smells. I don't have that wet, humid smell like I did with the shavings. Just a swish, swish, with the fork and all is good. I feel better about it as a compost too. The pine shavings take for ever to decompose. Yes, I understand that grass clippings are free, but I'm too old, and my back's too old. - even with the mower bag collecting it. I still would have to fork it into the coop. That's a lot of bending. This way, I buy the bale, carry into the coop, cut it open and magic. Oh, and, BTW, even with the DE at the bottom, no dust.

So far worth the money. I have a feeling this is going to last too.
wee.gif

It's been a cool 92 degrees with 78% humidity
roll.png
I believe it's going to storm in a bit. Smells like it anyway. I've not had the bedding as long, but I have had 12 poopers. I can't believe how nice it smells. I don't have that wet, humid smell like I did with the shavings. Just a swish, swish, with the fork and all is good. I feel better about it as a compost too. The pine shavings take for ever to decompose. Yes, I understand that grass clippings are free, but I'm too old, and my back's too old. - even with the mower bag collecting it. I still would have to fork it into the coop. That's a lot of bending. This way, I buy the bale, carry into the coop, cut it open and magic. Oh, and, BTW, even with the DE at the bottom, no dust.

So far worth the money. I have a feeling this is going to last too.
wee.gif
Awesome! I thought the DE would raise a cloud of dust in there. Did your girls scratch around in it a lot when you first put it in there? Mine were sort of tasting it, but not eating any of it.

Back
Top Bottom