Exposed skull possible broken neck?

LadyCraig

Songster
Sep 3, 2017
Virginia
Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster – I wish it were for a more cheerful chicken topic

A cat or racoon got into my chicken run yesterday and killed 2, and injured 2 of my girls. They are Barred Rocks about 11 months (Black Betty and Hen Solo).

Both survivors have severe wounds on the back of their heads, avulsed skin and skull bone is showing. Black Betty (BB) has about 2”x1” area exposed, she is more alert but not eating or drinking on her own. Both eyes open.

Hen Solo (HS) has a smaller area of exposed skull about 1”x1” and additional injuries to neck. It appears that her neck may be broken or some injury to the muscle because she has trouble keeping her head up, and seems most comfortable laying down with head resting back. She is also alert when roused, but also not eating or drinking on her own. Only one eye opens.

I cleaned both wounds as best I could with dilute betadine and applied topical vetricyn gel and Neosporin. I wrapped HS’s head because her wound keeps resting on her back, but BB wouldn’t let me wrap hers so I covered all exposed bone with thick layer of Neosporin. They are in a large dog kennel in a quite bathroom in the house. I’ve been going in every few hours to give them droppers of electrolyte water and some mixed with wet chick crumbles/carrot puree and crushed up baby aspirin. They seem to swallow what I give, but don’t make any effort to get more. Food and water kept in cage.

Long story short, my request for advice is if these sound like wounds that could heal or lead to a normal life? Any treatment tips for exposed skull wounds? Could HS have a broken neck and still be ambulatory?

Thanks all! I’m feeling pretty traumatized as this is my first chicken disaster! I can’t imagine how my girls are feeling….

I had a similar situation with one of my chickens. My dogs got ahold of one and ripped big chunks out of her back. I set up a playpen in a room downstairs and put a heat lamp on her. Get some blukote to put on the wounds. You can get it at tractor Supply Company Or amazon. It will protect the wound and keep it from getting infected. If the one does have a broken neck your going to want to put her down. If you have a vet that treats chickens I would take them in right away. Good luck and I'm so sorry to hear this.

Keep doing what you're doing (I'm not sure about the aspirin though) and keep a close eye on them for a few days. They could still be in shock and definitely pain. After a few days, if they're trying, you'll know if it's worth it to keep going. I'm sorry for this disaster :(

Chickens are tough! My hen didn't eat much for a couple days after a dog attack, but she did drink water after resting a while. The dog pulled feathers and flesh off her. We didnt know until it was inflected and had maggots :( we treated her with screw work spray to get rid of the maggots that we couldn't pick off, polysporin, and vetricin. Now shes back in the flock chasing grasshoppers and laying eggs.

I agree with previous posts, keep doing what you are doing and give them some time. If they don't improve or take a turn for the worse you can always decide to cull. Just watch for signs of infection and make sure they stay hydrated, hydration is important. Hens heal from terrible wounds very well a lot of the time as long as there is no infection or internal injuries. It's entirely possible that they were pulled around by their heads/necks and there could be a lot of muscular bruising and soreness, and it may take awhile for them to feel good enough to move around or hold their head up. Also the initial shock can really immobilize them until they've had time to recover from that. I'm so sorry this happened. But you do need to secure your coop also. Predators (any kind) will return to where they have been successful, so whatever got them will most likely be back. So securing your remaining birds is important so you don't lose any more. Also setting up a game camera can help you identify whatever you are dealing with. Best of luck and I hope they recover.

All - Thank you for the replies and advice - they give me hope to keep trying and see if they bounce back after some more time. I just feel so bad like they are suffering...

Coach723: I only had 4 hens, so no one else is outside to protect, but if these girls survive the run will definitely be reinforced. I hadn't been shutting the coop door because it is so hot down here at night (So. FL).

All - Thank you for the replies and advice - they give me hope to keep trying and see if they bounce back after some more time. I just feel so bad like they are suffering...

Coach723: I only had 4 hens, so no one else is outside to protect, but if these girls survive the run will definitely be reinforced. I hadn't been shutting the coop door because it is so hot down here at night (So. FL).
Took out the whole flock...I'm betting a coon or fox. leaning towards fox...they get their thrills killing everything in sight. was there anything missing from the 2 dead birds?

I forgot to ask one more question:

How often should I clean their wounds? There is still some dried blood at edges/etc, I just didn't want to make it worse so I just cleaned as best I could and coated/covered them. I wasn't sure if I should wait a day or two to re-dress? The vetericyn gell is applied multiple times a day...

Back
Top Bottom