Extra Protein

Chickrescue

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 8, 2011
Hi guys, girls and chooks,

Me again, newbie from sunny England!!. I need more help - what would I do without BYC. One of my ex battery girls is very skinny, pale faced and laying no shell eggs. I understand that she needs extra protein to help keep her strength up during her moult. I don't care about the eggs - I just want my girl to be ok (after losing one a couple of days ago). I have read and found what i can, but i guess i just want some confirmation of some things:-
Scrambled/boiled egg
Black oil sunflower seeds
Spinach/Cabbage
Dry/wet cat food
Yoghurt
Peanut Butter
Cottage Cheese
Canned Tuna/Mackeral/Salmon
Meat - which I don't know and whether its raw or cooked so need help with that one.
Is there anything on here that some people would advise against? How much do I give? Can I over do it? Is there anything else I can do?

AND - How often do I worm them? with what?

Also how do I create a new page without going back to my initial confirmation email? It seems when i come on the the forum direct I can post a new topis? - so help on everything please!! xx
THANK YOU XXXXXXXXXX

One thing that I just want to mention is that you've gotta watch salty things......I think maybe the canned fish might be a bit too salty for a chicken.......I heard they can get saline poisoning, and an acquaintance of mine fed one of her hens potato chips (I think you guys call them crisps), and the hen actually died from that.....

The other things you have listed look great, although I've never thought to give my hens peanut butter......Not so sure about that...

Thanks, Ok, that makes sense yes. I've just looked at other topics and some have given them peanuts and raison (unsalted) and peanut butter on another!!. I've only had them for 5 weeks with 3 days notice that i was getting them (as they are rescued) so it been a very hard and fast learning curve. Any advice is appreciated. xx

Quote:
I recommend a commercial layer mix 16% minimum protein.My chickens can confirm that dry cat food in small amounts is something they look forward to. I use it as a treat/supplement not a food. Too much can cause loose poo. I have never wormed my birds,some are 5 years old and still very healthy. Good Luck

Thank you, yes they are on a commercial layer mix and one is thriving but obviously its just not enough for the little one so I wanted to give her something to just give her a boost and help her. She is having some scramble egg and cottage cheese at the moment and thats going down well.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC! I use mashed hard-boiled eggs and plain yogurt to build my girls up. I also add vitamins and electrolytes to the water, when I feel like someone needs an extra boost.

Quote:

What are and do you add electrolytes? And is it special vitamins for chickens? Thank you for your help. x
thumbsup.gif

I have given my girls baby vitamins. The kind that comes in a dropper. I think they are usually grape flavored or something like that. Its just a general vitamin and it really seems to help them. I just drop it in their nice clean water container, and let them drink it up. I had a hen once that didnt act like she was feeling the best, so I dropped a drop in her beak once a day for 3 days. By the third day she was acting lively again. I dont know if maybe she just didnt feel good or if it actually helped her feel better. I am no vet, for sure, so no promises that this will work. I hope your girls get to feeling better

Back
Top Bottom