Amanda10321

Chirping
Aug 24, 2019
Long story short, we brought home a duck who turned out to have EXTREME bumblefoot which advanced quickly and ended with amputation.
I think Holly (the gal this post is about) got the same kind of infection from the new duck (based on how it looks and is acting - stringy and persistent) and we can’t afford a hefty vet bill rn! I’ve cleaned it out very thoroughly three times in a week, followed by dousing with betadine, packing with neosporin, and wrapping w vet wrap. Every other time I change her bandage (daily), it’s looking gross again! Necrotic tissue and fissures filled with stringy white gunk.
I have Tylan, amoxicillin (the fish kind), and penicillin. None of them touched the new duck’s infection, but I’m about to load up Holly in desperation! Help!

Oh dear. I feel your pain but unfortunately do not have the best advice. Bumblefoot is a staph infection, so any antibiotic that works with gram positive infections should be effective with Bumblefoot, but I’ve not been brave enough to try OTC meds yet. Nor have I successfully treated Bumblefoot.

If you post a few pictures of the core, we can go from there.

Amoxicillin, Penicillin, and Tylan are all not going to do much against a staphylococcus infection. You would want something like Enrofloxacin, Bactrim, Ciprofloxacin, Clindamycin, or Cephalexin. Each one listed can be bought online, in either bird, or fish form.

If you post a few pictures of the core, we can go from there.

Amoxicillin, Penicillin, and Tylan are all not going to do much against a staphylococcus infection. You would want something like Enrofloxacin, Bactrim, Ciprofloxacin, Clindamycin, or Cephalexin. Each one listed can be bought online, in either bird, or fish form.

There is no core - I cut it out.
I haven’t been able to find the meds you listed without a Rx. Do you have links?

I haven’t been able to find the meds you listed without a Rx. Do you have links?
https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/bayer/products/baytril-2-5 <--- this is where you can find Enrofloxacin (baytril) online without an Rx. The 2.5% Baytril is meant to be orally injected, and the 10% is supposed to be mixed with water. I have been meaning to try this particular medicine for myself, but haven't yet. In fact, this post has encouraged me to go ahead and order it, since I had to dig out the link to the medicine from my email. Good luck!

It could be a bumble without a core. Even I have recently discovered it, since I suspect my own rooster has the same type. I have removed his bumble twice now and there was no kernal each time. So what I've been told is that it could be due to walking on hard floors. Could you share pictures please?

I am so sorry about your duck! One piece of advice our vet gave me was to use Silvadene or colloidal silver wound gel instead of the triple antibiotic ointment. He says it gives you a much better spectrum for coverage and will help with fungus (yeast) too. I hope you find a solution. If going to the vet is too expensive you might also explore an app called Televet if you are in the US, I don’t take my birds in, I televet with my vet and he prescribes through eithe an online pharm or a compounding one here near me. The charge for our consults are 74, but he relies on me to know what surgical procedures I am willing/able to do and if he can’t help me there is no charge. That might be something you can look at? Good luck! If you do look into the Televet just be sure they are an exotics practice, most exotics practices have avian vets.

I am so sorry about your duck! One piece of advice our vet gave me was to use Silvadene or colloidal silver wound gel instead of the triple antibiotic ointment. He says it gives you a much better spectrum for coverage and will help with fungus (yeast) too. I hope you find a solution. If going to the vet is too expensive you might also explore an app called Televet if you are in the US, I don’t take my birds in, I televet with my vet and he prescribes through eithe an online pharm or a compounding one here near me. The charge for our consults are 74, but he relies on me to know what surgical procedures I am willing/able to do and if he can’t help me there is no charge. That might be something you can look at? Good luck! If you do look into the Televet just be sure they are an exotics practice, most exotics practices have avian vets.
My avian vet also had me use silvadene cream for my duck's bumblefoot. I think we had a minor case caused by walking on hard surfaces. We didn't do any cutting or remove any scabs. I'm not sure if the silvadene would have still been recommended if we had needed to.

Back
Top Bottom