Extreme case of Wry Neck

Friskybinx

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Greensboro, NC
Yesterday my almost 4 month old silkie showed signs of extreme wry neck. Completely out of nowhere. One of my other girls (same age and from same breeder) has it a little bit, but still functions just fine.

This girl can’t keep her head up, does the insane owl twisting limp noodle head and neck motions and can no longer eat or drink on her own.

I have been told to give her vitamin e with selenium paste pea sized amount 3x a day and poultry cell 1cc 2x a day. I also syringe feed egg yolk/water with a little b12 added. This evening I also basically force fed her some tuna.

Anything else I can do or should be doing differently? I feel truly horrible for her. My husband made her a little neck brace to try and help her but it’s not doing much. She just stands there with her head on the ground completely flipped upside down ☹️

IMG_0856.png
IMG_0857.png
IMG_0858.png

Yesterday my almost 4 month old silkie showed signs of extreme wry neck. Completely out of nowhere. One of my other girls (same age and from same breeder) has it a little bit, but still functions just fine.

This girl can’t keep her head up, does the insane owl twisting limp noodle head and neck motions and can no longer eat or drink on her own.

I have been told to give her vitamin e with selenium paste pea sized amount 3x a day and poultry cell 1cc 2x a day. I also syringe feed egg yolk/water with a little b12 added. This evening I also basically force fed her some tuna.

Anything else I can do or should be doing differently? I feel truly horrible for her. My husband made her a little neck brace to try and help her but it’s not doing much. She just stands there with her head on the ground completely flipped upside down ☹️

View attachment 3701187View attachment 3701188View attachment 3701189
@azygous @Eggcessive

Thank you for that article! I do have my girl in the house now with blankets in a tub to try and help support her head.
You’re welcome! It sounds like she’s quite comfortable. ☺️ Please give updates on her condition. Additionally, treat the flock mate that is showing mild symptoms.

You mention nothing about amounts. That is crucial. Poultry Cell has not got enough vitamin E to be therapeutic. You must give one whole 400iu E capsule. Pop it into her beak and extend her neck and she will swallow. The selenium is also needed but just a tiny amount per day.

Unless there is brain damage causing the wry neck, this should resolve in a relatively short time with proper dosage. If no improvement, increase the dosage.

As far as feeding, you can tube feed and get plenty of food into her that way. Or you can support her head and direct her beak to help her eat. Wet foods are best so she also gets fluids that way. But give her the same help drinking water. Frequent feedings of small amounts are best to keep stress at a minimum which can aggravate her condition.

When a chicken has wry neck symptoms, I usually advise human Vitamin E 400 IU, along with 1/4 tablet of B complex (not B12,) and a bit of scrambled egg which has plenty of selenium. Mixing a mash of watery chicken feed and water, with the small amount of egg, it can be fed to her several times a day while holding her. Wry neck is a symptom, which can occur with a vitamin deficiency, a head or neck injury, and can also be a symptom of a few certain diseases that affect the brain. Mareks, avian influenza, and certain respiratory viruses are some of those. It can take weeks to see improvement. Silkies are especially prone to wry neck.

You mention nothing about amounts. That is crucial. Poultry Cell has not got enough vitamin E to be therapeutic. You must give one whole 400iu E capsule. Pop it into her beak and extend her neck and she will swallow. The selenium is also needed but just a tiny amount per day.

Unless there is brain damage causing the wry neck, this should resolve in a relatively short time with proper dosage. If no improvement, increase the dosage.

As far as feeding, you can tube feed and get plenty of food into her that way. Or you can support her head and direct her beak to help her eat. Wet foods are best so she also gets fluids that way. But give her the same help drinking water. Frequent feedings of small amounts are best to keep stress at a minimum which can aggravate her condition.

In my original message I said I’m giving vitamin e with selenium paste pea sized amount 3x a day and poultry cell 1cc 2x a day. I also syringe feed egg yolk/water with a little b12 added - about 1/2 a CC.

Sorry if those amounts aren’t clear, I was following instructions someone else had given me.

When a chicken has wry neck symptoms, I usually advise human Vitamin E 400 IU, along with 1/4 tablet of B complex (not B12,) and a bit of scrambled egg which has plenty of selenium. Mixing a mash of watery chicken feed and water, with the small amount of egg, it can be fed to her several times a day while holding her. Wry neck is a symptom, which can occur with a vitamin deficiency, a head or neck injury, and can also be a symptom of a few certain diseases that affect the brain. Mareks, avian influenza, and certain respiratory viruses are some of those. It can take weeks to see improvement. Silkies are especially prone to wry neck.

I switched to this regiment today. I soaked some bread in water/egg yolk and she was quite hungry so I’ll be switching to feed/water/egg mash for her next feeding. Also got the vitamins you suggested. Is it 1 pill for the vitamin E per day?

In my original message I said I’m giving vitamin e with selenium paste pea sized amount 3x a day and poultry cell 1cc 2x a day. I also syringe feed egg yolk/water with a little b12 added - about 1/2 a CC.

Sorry if those amounts aren’t clear, I was following instructions someone else had given me.

I switched to this regiment today. I soaked some bread in water/egg yolk and she was quite hungry so I’ll be switching to feed/water/egg mash for her next feeding. Also got the vitamins you suggested. Is it 1 pill for the vitamin E per day?
Sorry nobody replied but those experts get inundated with helping so many people. Hopefully, you knew to keep going with the E and a small amount of selenium. As per the article, there are natural sources too for E and selenium, but to begin with, you want to do as you did and as advised. If she's not back to normal, I'd keep her on heightened amts of E with small amt selenium to help her absorb it. Hopefully, she's showing major improvement!

Sorry nobody replied but those experts get inundated with helping so many people. Hopefully, you knew to keep going with the E and a small amount of selenium. As per the article, there are natural sources too for E and selenium, but to begin with, you want to do as you did and as advised. If she's not back to normal, I'd keep her on heightened amts of E with small amt selenium to help her absorb it. Hopefully, she's showing major improvement!
I appreciate you responding. She hasn’t shown major improvement, but I’m trying to be patient and give it time. She will eat out of my hand now so I no longer have to force feed her but she can’t function in her own. I do have to force her to drink water and give it to her via syringe being careful not to aspirate her. It’s been rough ☹️

Back
Top Bottom