Extreme Cranial Swelling-Graphic pics

I am in WV..I gave him cephalexin 2x a day orally(syringe, not mixed with food or water)... I did try to drain the area but there was no excess fluid, its all tissue.. I dont know how willing he would be either to drink any of that, but he will be getting some tea or coffe via syringe first thing in the morning :) Thank you :)

I dont know if that plant is related to a Yucca plant( just resembles it in my opinion) and I do have one of those in my yard but it is on opposite side from the chickens area, and only way he could have accessed it was if someone pulled a leaf and put it in their area..I dont think that is the case but I am going to do some research on it

I don't mean to sound cold or callous, but if that bird has looked like that for two weeks, I think it's time to put him out of his misery and end his suffering.

And certainly, disinfect thoroughly any area where he has been kept. I have no idea what that is, but if it's not getting better after two weeks the bird should be culled.

I was looking up swollen head syndrome (avian metapneumovirus) in "Diseases of Poultry" and found a few tidbits of info. This disease had been in Africa, South and Central America, and Europe before, but from 1997-2002 there was a large outbreak of it in turkey farms. Though turkeys have many respiratory symptoms with SHS, CHICKENS MAY NOT SHOW THESE SYMPTOMS. E.coli infection and infectious bronchitis (IB) may accompany this virus. There is only a 2% mortality of affected birds, and only 4% of the flock will get it. Other diseases such as Newcastles, IB, Avian Influenza (bird flu)0,) and mycoplasma can resemble this disease. Where in WV do you live? I live out side of Huntington, and would definitely call someone at Ohio State or Virginia Tech vet school. Teresa Morishita DVM is at Ohio State and her email is www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/poultry I hope you will try to find out what your chicken has for sure since I think since this is a rare disease, it would be good to know if the bird truly has it. The cephalexin that you gave your chicken may have stopped any progression of a secondary infection, and it is possible that taking culture of the respiratory tract may not grow out the virus, especially since the first few days of the virus show higher positive cultures.

Last edited:
What is your cephalexin dosage?

As others have indicated, you probably should call your local Cooperative Extension office for guidance. http://www.ext.wvu.edu/county_offices/

Perhaps your roo's case would rustle up interest @ WVU. Your bird could get some free care out of the deal...

I am going to call my extension office tomorrow and see if they have any interest in figuring out what is wrong with him, our local extension agent works very close with WVU so I think that is my best route, if they are not interested, then I think I am going to have him put down.. I know he isn't miserable but Pathfinders made a good point.. and I already have a healthy rooster ..this guy was my favorite from the start so I guess at the least I owe him this..

Did you try the steroid such as predinsone? I know predindone takes down brain swelling as I've used it for wry neck in my flock. Maybe this is what you need?

Did you try the steroid such as predinsone? I know predindone takes down brain swelling as I've used it for wry neck in my flock. Maybe this is what you need?

Prednisone is good for reducing brain swelling in poultry, I've used it on Silkies before (we had a line that had HUGE vaults, and the birds in that line kept hitting their heads and getting crookneck. I later culled that whole line out.)

Yes I too used the predinsone for my silkies brain swelling. thank God they are back to 100% now. It does work very well but if you start it it can't be stopped abruptly. It must be weened off slowly. Hope this helps

I'm adding to my last post that the turkey farm that had an outbreak in swollen head syndrome was in the state of Minnesota, which I inadvertently left out. That is why I think it is important to have him necropsied at least. Many state vets will do the euthanizing for free with the necropsy. If you kill the chicken, the body would need to be refrigerated, not frozen for a necropsy, then mailed on dry ice I believe. I really think if this is swollen head syndrome, his head will go down soon, and he may recover as 98% do. I hope you will keep us posted on what happens. Here is a state by state listing of places for necropsy info: http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx Since Ohio State has a vet school and poultry dept. I might call these two numbers: 800-300-9755 or 614-728-6220 for the Ohio animal disease hotline, and an email address: [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom