Eye Disease

shefowl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
I have a chicken with an eye disease that looks like yellow cheese. It is under the eyelid, surrounding the eyeball. Does anyone know what the disease is and how to cure it??

I can't post a picture but the yellow substance is thick and rubbery like . I have gotten some of the substance out from around the eyeball but it keeps coming back. I am using Terramycin for the eye. The substance makes the eye lid stand way out and looks like a huge swollen eye.

It does have an ordor and it does have a foamy substance to it , to start with then it becomes a yellow cheesy rubbery substance. The eye has sunk way down in the eye socket because of the substance under the eyelid and between the eye socket and eyeball. I think the hen will be blind in that eye even after she is cured. She wasn't pecked in the eye .

Once I had a hen with something that sounds like what your hen has, it made a big swelling of her eye and she couldn't see out of it. With gloved hands and strong intestinal fortitude I gently squeezed at the base of the swelling and got a big goober of gunk to come out from under her inner eyelid. It looked like a big yellowish caterpillar and even had a little rounded indentation at the end where it was resting on her eye.

Her eye remained a bit swollen for the rest of that day, but the next day she was FINE. It was one of the grosser things I have ever done, but it made me feel like a miracle worker, to have restored her sight!

I've done this with a few other hens over the years, haven't always had such great success. I think a lot has to do with just how severely the bird is affected before you get around to doing this. I think it is caused by upper respiratory infections that get in their sinuses & up into their eyes. But I'm no expert on this, it's just my theories.

Thank everyone for your input on my problem, i have started my hen on sulfadimethoxine (diluted in her water) and still putting terramycin salve in her eye. I know if i could get all of the yellow cheesy substance out, that she would heal alot quicker but it is so embedded and deap in her eye socket that i only get part of it out.

Up date on my hen with eye problem-i kept putting the Terramycin in her eye and it finally lossened up all off the yellow chessy substance. I was able to remove all of the chessy substance and her eye is improving greatly. i don't know for sure yet but i think she might still have her sight in that eye. The antibiotic that i diluted in her water also helped. She acts like a normal hen now.

Back
Top Bottom