Eye Pecked Out! Help!

sleepyhollow

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 10, 2012
My peahen had a traumic eye injury. Picked up some antibiotic ointment to put on her eye, but 2 days later it was even worse. Now it looks like she has no eye left. She is under a heat lamp, isolated. Can she survive? Does it require stitches by a vet to close it up? Should she be put to sleep? I hate to see her suffer. She keeps opening and closing her beak also. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :(

My peahen had a traumic eye injury. Picked up some antibiotic ointment to put on her eye, but 2 days later it was even worse. Now it looks like she has no eye left. She is under a heat lamp, isolated. Can she survive? Does it require stitches by a vet to close it up? Should she be put to sleep? I hate to see her suffer. She keeps opening and closing her beak also. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. :(
Welcome to BYC! Can you take her to a vet?

I called our vet. She told me to come pick up an antibiotic topical ointment terramycin. I just wonder how/if the eye heals after the trauma
Well, either it will work or it won't. There are lots of peas that either have limited sight or are blind in one eye. I have two hens that are blind in one eye, one looks fairly normal even though the eye does not work at all and the other has lost the eye and has a constant low-grade infection. The one with the infection will build up a large glob of yellow pus and will need to be cleaned out every six weeks or so during the warm months and given an injection of Baytril. Then she is fine for a month or more then will require cleaning again. She takes a bit of maintenance but she is a really good girl.
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1317.JPG

Well, either it will work or it won't. There are lots of peas that either have limited sight or are blind in one eye. I have two hens that are blind in one eye, one looks fairly normal even though the eye does not work at all and the other has lost the eye and has a constant low-grade infection. The one with the infection will build up a large glob of yellow pus and will need to be cleaned out every six weeks or so during the warm months and given an injection of Baytril. Then she is fine for a month or more then will require cleaning again. She takes a bit of maintenance but she is a really good girl.
View attachment 1234573 View attachment 1234575 View attachment 1234576View attachment 1234577
Is that coryza?

Hi, Goliath my rooster lost one eye to avian pox a couple of years ago. Now he got pecked badly and his good eye was swollen. Eventually took him to the vet ($315!) said eyeball looks intact so gave 10 days of antibiotics plus Metacam. His one eye looks good after 6 days but Goliath can’t see at all! I had to tube feed him for a while and now he eats in his own but I have to follow his beak with the feed... could it be Metacam that impairs him??? How long before he may see again? I will have him put down if he is blind...

Back
Top Bottom