L Home Farm

Chirping
Jul 10, 2023
Ireland
I have a cream legbar pullet whose eyes look… odd. She’s absolutely healthy, preening, scratching, pooping, eating, drinking, etc.
But her eyes are a strange shape, and I’ve noticed her blinking a bit and sometimes shaking her head.

I got her & her 4 sisters from a guy who told me they were 10wks. However, 2 are way bigger, redder combs etc. so maybe they are older, or the others are younger? Or are some just not thriving. She is a small pale one. Could it be related? Or am I adding 2 + 2 and getting 22??
TIA…

Don't panic, nothing points to Marek's so far, but I would inspect her and the coop closely for poultry mites and deworm her thoroughly as parasites would slow down proper development and might just be the reason for her being so pale.

Heres the pullet
8B4EB0FA-265B-4D9A-9859-09C26FC37445.jpeg

And another pullet to compare
F2F8590C-5594-4810-9E41-1A6ACF0F1BDC.jpeg

The concern you have with the eye is (i'm assuming) ocular mareks. I have never personally dealt with it so I'm just not sure from your photos and what I've read/seen about it so I do not feel comfortable telling you it is or isn't. If she's acting healthy and normal, if it were me I would keep her under observation for any further developments. I hope she is alright and there is nothing wrong!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Oh shoot. How bad is the ocular version? Am I gonna lose all my birds…
Please no…. 😭😭😭😭😭😭 I don’t want my chucks to have Mareks…

I don't know if your bird has it or not. Please don't get too upset. If she is acting normally then just keep an eye on her. I included the article for information only.

Back
Top Bottom