"Fairy" quail egg

Sill

Songster
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
Tempe, AZ
One of my quail laid a fairy egg. This egg only weighed 5 grams. Tiny! This is it next to a normal 14 gram egg.

Fairy eggs have no yolk. This was the first time I've had one laid by a quail.

Yes, she is only 10 weeks old so her eggs are all over the chart. Small, big, double yolks, and now one with no yolk. She herself is from one of my hens that lays the biggest eggs from my second generation of quail so she should settle into some nice sized eggs as she matures.

Ok I have a ? I have 18 a n m quail I get one egg a day I know I have two roo seen them crow and you know what I dont know what hen is laying a egg they are 11 weeks old I live in arizona so its not cold is it possible I have 17 roos and only two crow I thought I had 15 hens and 3 roos new to vent sexing

Some don't start laying until 12 weeks or older. Also if you are not giving them some supplemental light they might not start laying because of the shortened day length.

Vent sexing is not always accurate. If a hen just got bred she may present with foam, or a male that just bred might not have much foam because he just used what he had.

Yes, she is only 10 weeks old so her eggs are all over the chart.  Small, big, double yolks, and now one with no yolk.  She herself is from one of my hens that lays the biggest eggs from my second generation of quail so she should settle into some nice sized eggs as she matures.

Great news. :) Enjoy your eggs!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom